Critique my listing - Jay in Grand Gaube, Mauritius

Poorna-Jay-Madhav0
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Critique my listing - Jay in Grand Gaube, Mauritius

12.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I'm a new host facing challenges with maintaining consistent bookings.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to review my listing and provide feedback on any areas for improvement. Whether it's missing house rules, unclear descriptions, or general tips to boost my bookings, I'm open to your advice.

Here's the link to my listing: 

airbnb.com/h/modern-oceanfront-getaway-secluded-mauritius

Thank you in advance for your time and valuable insight!

Best regards,

J

[Content modified by OCM]

26 Replies 26
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Poorna-Jay-Madhav0, I’m very glad to see all these amazing comments and suggestions from our Hosts. I agree, your property is stunning 😍

Please let us know when you’ve had a chance to read them, and keep us posted on the changes you’re planning to implement.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hello Paula! I did not expect the amount of comments that I got! But there are several valid points.

Amongst the main:

- Will check with my photographer to see if we can get some more angles and maybe a few sunset photos.

- Co2 Alarm 

- Cleaning fee review 

- Offering a discount to secure some good reviews. 

Noelle194
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi @Poorna-Jay-Madhav0 , I see that your pricing is competitive. Some more established people have sept and Oct fully booked though which means you need to make sure you are high up in the algorhythm. One way to do this is turn on instant book (for guests with 5star reviews), as well as following other suggestions from the AirBnB app. In addition I would have the first picture be the view of the ocean from the patio rather than the drone pic. But make sure it’s more

zoomed in toward the ocean(while still showing a bit of the table n chairs), so the guest feels what it will be like to relax with that view. In addition add art to make it feel more personal. I printed pictures I had taken on canvas cheaply but there are other inexpensive ways to add art. Otherwise it looks like a nice clean space but I would try to angle the picture of the living room differently as well as have a separate picture of the kitchen. Additionally, set the rates even lower so you get the first 3 guests and get excellent reviews.  However the deal needs to be for dates that are soon so you get the reviews soon- or set your rates very low but only have the calendar open for a short time, so that people only get the cheap rates in the next month and get some 6 star reviews ASAP.  Then slowly raise rates. 

Hello Noelle! Good suggestions. Will have to redo some photos. I found Shutterstock pretty good at finding high-resolution images for printing. Will add some more art in the bedrooms and hallways. Agree with setting the price lower for a couple of weeks to get those reviews. 

Pelar1
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

@Poorna-Jay-Madhav0 Your photos look great. The listing description is clear. You may want to show more images of the main entrance to the building and transportation information. 

Hello Pelar, thank you for your response. Indeed this was a point raised by many. I will work on getting more photos of the grounds. 

@Poorna-Jay-Madhav0 Your listing is beautiful and so is the area in which it sits.   It appears very clean, well maintained and completely ready for your guests.

My comments probably are my own tastes, but here they are.

The Living room looks nice, but it might be a little more friendly if you put a little something on the shelves by the TV.  Those bare shelves look foreboding to me.

The glasses at the far end of the Dining table look cloudy.  It is probably the sunlight, but I would either figure out a way to make them look as nice as the front glasses or eliminate them altogether.

In the Half bathroom, maybe add a vase with artificial, but very realistic silk flowers. Perhaps add a colorful hand towel as well or leave it white, but with an emblem or some other color showing.  It looks rather stark and sterile.  This will help soften the look.

The $250.00 per night seems reasonable.  The cleaning fee to me is quite high, but then again, I do not charge a cleaning fee.  Maybe offer FREE cleaning fee through September with a 3 night stay or something like that and test the waters to see if that could be the problem.

Others may not agree, but there you go.  I think it is quite lovely and have no idea why you are not getting bookings. 

Hello Priscilla, thank you for your response. I agree, it needs a little bit more to feel homely. And yes might give it a go with changing the cleaning fee and increasing it to a three-night minimum. 

Paul1976
Level 2
North Salt Lake, UT

Jay, I think you've done well with the listing so far.  I'm assuming you've mentioned all of the most relevant details for the property, checking in, etc. and the info. about the grocery store, gravel drive, golf course, etc. is a good idea.  I'd suggest adding a few more ground-level pictures of the pool, the beach, and grounds.

Paul

Hello Paul, thank you for your response. That is a very good idea to add more photos of the grounds and amenities. 

Pascale653
Level 4
Newington, Australia

Hello @Poorna-Jay-Madhav0,

Your place looks fantastic, absolutely gorgeous. Sorry I can't think of any suggestions to attract bookings as it looks just fine.  No doubt time will bring its rewards to you.

Best wishes!

Hello Pascale, thank you for your message. Fingers crossed for the best!