Critique my listing please - Andrea in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Andrea5943
Level 2
Manitoba, Canada

Critique my listing please - Andrea in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'm new here, and scared!  I posted my place last week, and nothing.  I realize that this may be a slow time for my area, but I feel it's priced right (lower than I would like, however).  I'm envious of those listings with short and sweet House Rules, but after being a long-term rental landlord for many years I'm worried about the potential liability.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for your time.

@andrea

7 Replies 7
Andrea5943
Level 2
Manitoba, Canada

I would redo most of your photos, they are too dark and add to the somewhat sterile feeling of the space.  Take the photos in bright sunshine.  If there is any outdoor areas that would be a positive, you mention a creek, take some photos of that as well. There shouldn't be someone on the couch in the first photo.

It's a personal choice, but I think that a little more wall art, couple of things on the kitchen counter would make it feel less like a hotel room.

Thanks Mark!  I though about outdoor photos, but have none from the summer (joining Air B and B was never a thought I ever had, but a family situation led me here).  There's snow, snow and more snow - difficult to highlight the creek at this time.  

I'll replace the photo of my lounging teenager!  I figured it would add 'personality', but I trust your advice!

Thanks again.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrea5943 a few thoughts

Your check in/out times mean you will need to block a day between rentals. Fine in low season but it means you are unlikely to get back to back bookings in high season 

2 night min stay seems short for such a big place. Our 3 nights may lose us some bookings but we don't like cleaning.

The fines in your rules will not be collected by Airbnb so you are possibly putting people off for no good reason.

The rules feel excessive - But I don't know your market well.

The cleaning fee is very low relative to the nightly price. Either increase it to encourage longer stays or remove it and add a few dollars to the nightly rate.

Finally search for similar properties in your area - Within reviews you probably need to be 5-10% cheaper but you can increase prices as you get established.

Thank you for the advice!  I know that I excessively worry about damage and theft.  I have been second-guessing the house rules since I posted, deep-down knowing that these should be simplified.  Thanks again, and cheeers!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have CCTV air similar @Andrea5943 ?

Sorry Helen, not sure I understand the question.  Closed Circuit Television?  No - just RING floodlighs, a RING doorbell camera, and motion/temperature sensing equipment in the locked mechanical crawlspace and locked garage.