Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

Answered!
Jan54
Level 1
Breda, Netherlands

Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

After using AirBNB as a traveler on my last holiday I decided to join the hosts and offer my own apartment.

One problem;

After creating my listing and looking at the preview I saw quests can book my apartment without prior agreement; the so called 'Instant book' option. I check all the help pages, but every answer points me to options that are no longer there, or at least not for me.

I would still like to have some kind of control over the guest, for example when because of work the guest schedules and mine doesn't match up for exchanging the keys.

I really am *NOT* up to letting people book without a quick exchange beforehand. Is there some way to disable this instant book setting? Or maybe a way to contact the airbnb team about this?

This is really frustrating, even more so since everybody else in my town is able to host without instantbooking enabled. I was looking forward to hosting, now not so much. 😞

Not a single option to disable instant bookMy option screen without a single option to disable instant book.

Thanks for any help.

1 Best Answer

I am a new host (started 17 days ago) and had the problem with Instant Book which led me to this community to find out more.  I did find out that while I can't turn it off on my computer, I was able to turn it off on my phone app!  Yipee!  So, now I have IB turned off.  It worked.  I did have to log out of my account on my computer and then search in my area again as a traveler in order to see the lightening bolt GONE!

Give it a try.

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97
Phillip5
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I just want to express my concern regarding this issue.

I've just joined Airbnb and I'm thinking of canceling it. Because this leads to a lack of control from my side.

I really would like to review the guests and then decide if I would like to accept or not.

Not having the option to disable this "option" really makes me mad about it.

Hi @Phillip5 you can register your displeasure here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Airbnb doesn't respond to feedback messages but at least you will be heard. 

Grace19
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Jan ~ when you are "managing your listing" choose "Booking " from the menu to the left. You will see there the options atround instant booking. you can disable there. I hope that helps

Phillip5
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I think this might be for specific users. It doesn't show for me.

Bev4
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Have also deactivated my listing till instant book is resolved.

I have the same problem. I've tried everything but now realise I'm not able to opt out of instant book. This is completely unacceptable for me. I need to be able to correspond with potential guests to make sure I'm ok with them staying. It's out of order that new hosts are forced to accept instant book whereas existing hosts aren't. Surely it's new hosts that are more nervous about the whole process and most need to communicate first with guests. I've tried to contact Airbnb about this but obviously they don't care. They just want to make more money. With instant book they get more bookings and cancelation fees if you have to cancel someone undesireable .

I'm looking around for other options. Unfortunately I don't think my place is swanky enough for Onefinestay...

I think you should let Airbnb know.  This is creating huge issues for people all over the world.  It's not rolled out for everyone, this must be another one of their beta tests.  My guess is that this a way they are trying to deal with the discrimination issue.

Libor1
Level 2
Brno, Czech Republic

I wrote them FOUR times, with no response...

Tess5
Level 2
Maitland, Australia

Yes very difficult, actually impossible for me to find . It used to be there , something has changed. The below answer did not help at all

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is what I wrote to BnB about them foisting instant book on new hosts

==================================================================================

Dear BnB

As a superhost I wanted to provide you with my views on BnB forcing new hosts to accept instant booking.  It is wholly unacceptable having safety and financial implications for hosts.

If new hosts are concerned about financial fines and withholding of superhost status they may feel forced to accept unsuitable guests. As a single female I like to vet my guests carefully to ensure I feel safe and comfortable before confirming a booking and I am sure this is a key factor for others too.

I know you say you can use verification and house rules to filter guests but nothing replaces being able to chat back and forth via email to get a sense of a guest and their plans. For me and many others it's not just about house rules, but who our guests are and their plans for their visits. You can't filter this through creating house rules.

BnB should be wanting to make sure new hosts have a positive start to their BnB experience - not make it difficult for them by foisting potentially unsuitable guests upon them. Bad for the host and the guest and ultimately for your brand reputation and income.

Can you explain why you have introduced this pilot? Why you don't warn new hosts that they will be forced to use Instant Book? And why you didn't carry out research with existing hosts before it was implemented. Finally I would like to know  whether you have plans to expand it.

I am sure that many hosts like myself would never have signed up to BnB if Instant Book was foisted upon us and that you will lose many thousands of superhosts if you try and implement this more widely.

I look forward to your early detailed response.

Shak-and-Sid0
Level 2
Northampton, United Kingdom

Dear Helen

Well said.

I have five properties with ABNB and am struggling to get Superhost status due to cancelling twice, due to once incorrect pricing on my part, and second time declining as I did not like the response from the guest. Of course I will be penalised by ABNB for these cancellations and will affect my Superhost status. But I was fortunate enough to have the ability to decline as I registered 2 years ago when IB was and still remains an option.

However if ABNB ever were to decide to hoist the IB on me, sadly I will have to seek other rental websites, who are not so short-sighted. I think that they are shooting themselves in the foot with this policy. Coke, comes to mind, who once decided to change the taste of their product, with disastrous results!

Also the level of support or "non-support" from ABNB is unprecedented. The platform is good, but unfortunately the direction that the Company and customer (read host) support is abysmal. Is there nobody in charge there?

Shak

Kathy52
Level 1
Tramore, Ireland

I'm a new host and so have Instant Book without my agreement. I received my first Instant Book booking today and had spent the last, almost, two hours, developing a stress headache, snarling and trying everything to get rid of it.... Then I found you guys here. I too had tried all of the ,unfortunately, no longer available options. At least now I know that it is not my stupidity or lack of tech savy that is the problem. I've used your links and messaged Airbnb expressing my unhappiness at this feature. Other than that I've written it in first thing as an additional rule for booking - that I don't accept Instant Book bookings. Can I do anything more ?

I've also blocked off dates that are available and will probably stop with Airbnb as soon as I'm paid for my one booking coming in next Friday.

@Kathy52 I completely understand your frustration with Instant Book, but I'm afraid you will dig yourself into a hole by saying you don't accept IB.  What are you going to do when you get an IB booking?  Cancel the reservation?  If you cancel all IB bookings, eventually Airbnb will terminate your listing altogether.  You should read this help article and consider the consequences of host cancellation penalties:

www.airbnb.com/help/article/990

Some have suggested that you delete your listing and create a new one.  The IB default apparently is only happening on 25% of new listings so you would have a 75% chance  a new listing would not have this automatic feature.  I would suggest you try that. 

If you would like to leave feedback to Airbnb about Instant Book, you can do it here: 

www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

All the best, Clare

Mustafa2
Level 1
Sunnyvale, CA

How do I contact Airbnb to voice my frustration at this horrible decision of theirs? This is utterly horrible. New host here, had my 3rd guest today, just horrible. Poor comunication, didn't check out on time, had way more guests than they signed up for, etc. I don't want Instant Book, I want to vet everyone who stays at my home. 

Hey Airbnb, put the option of disabling instant booking back!!!!