Dishonest rude host

Chien19
Level 1
Perth, Australia

Dishonest rude host

My partner and I had a great run with Airbnb during our trip in Texas and Florida recently with nothing short of spectacular hosts and homes, but there’s always one that ruins it all.

Reading through the discussion forums, it appears that nothing can be done about a host’s blatant dishonest review combined with their total lack of professionalism or even common human courtesy so I am just going to warn everyone here NOT to ever deal with any properties hosted by **[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]
You may get one of their properties which is DISGUSTING or even worse, having to deal with one their so called property managers who is DISHONEST and RUDE. 
It will RUIN YOUR TRIP

10 Replies 10
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Chien19 I was curious about your post and can't see anything on your profile at all? I thought you'd have reviews from some of all the places you have stayed so I could see the folks you are talking about. Why is there nothing? Curious?

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116 

Yeah I agree with you Clara, like you, as the forum sanitiser, or the moderators, remove personal information from posts I took a look at Chien's profile in search of a bit of information.......nothing, just a complete blank canvas.

@Chien19 , could it be that you were using your partners Airbnb account for your travels, and that is where this travel history is showing up? 

Very hard to make a comment when there is nothing to make a comment on! 

Cheers........Rob

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Chien19 

Have you contacted Airbnb Customer Service about what's happened?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes we did after the host left a terrible dishonest review on my partner's profile.

We wrote to Airbnb but they said it is within guidelines so it will not be removed. All we could do is respond to his review on Luke's (my partner) profile but could not make any changes or write another review on the property.

I had a similar bad experience with a dishonest host who hosts a shared room at Sonoma city. I would to open a discussion separately.

I'm sorry that you had this experience.

Chien19
Level 1
Perth, Australia

Hello all

Yes we used my partner's account for all the bookings for our trip recently.

It was a place we stayed **[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Nellie36
Level 2
San Jose, CA

I had a very bad experience with a dishonest host who hosts a shared room at Sonoma city, CA.

My husband and I with our 7-yearold well-trained service dog spent 2 nights with the host's approval.

As a PSA, my dog, who is a less than 20 lb, has been traveled with me all times. I know exactly the procedure and rules to manage and control my dog's pee whenever we travel with my dog. 

Once we arrived the property on the first night, I noticed the house is very small and this young couple has a small baby and 10-month old not well-trained pup dog (60-70 lb Australia Sharper). We were pleased with our first night, which was very quiet.

However, the host left their pup alone in a locked crate at living room area when we returned the place around 9:00pm next day. We went to the room directly and could hear lots of noises from that dog with whining, crying, and hitting the walls of the crate. I sent messages to the host because we could not rest and worried about the pup so much. The host responded me that they were out for a dinner and suggested we let the dog out of the crate as we wished. She also mentioned that their good baby dog could return to his crate as we went to bed or left the house. We trusted what the host's words, and freed the dog.

Well, the situation went even worse and worse. We could hear that the dog made constantly noises while he walked back and forth around the entire house. Furthermore, the dog showed very bad emotion manners obviously until 4:00 an next morning. We had no clue why the host didn't return home on time or wonder they might forget to put the dog back to their own room as they did in our first stay. We couldn't full sleep solidly under this disturbed, very stressful and hustle environment. By 4:30 am, I wrote a message to complain the situation. Then, we did a self-checkout early morning without seeing either the host or the dog.

Guess what, the host filed a dishonest property damage claim ($300) a few hours after we checked out, and reported that we let our dog intentionally to pee on their carpet and light carpet runner, and left so many large pee stains.

These pictures the host took were 100% false evidences, they were from a different room. I could tell that for sure because an additional furniture and luxury carpet runner were not existed in the room we had stayed. Also, the host left a terrible and dishonest review about my dog and our stay on my profile. They blamed us to let the dog out, it should be our responsibility to lock the dog back his crate. As a dog owner , I felt really terrible that the host left their pup dog behind for more than 7 hours. Of course, I'm not surprise the 10-moth-old pup will drop pees inside of house within some situations like we had experienced.

Sadly,  I don't win the case after dealing with AirBnB support with providing all information I could collect for a month.  I'm told that I have to pay the host $300, which allow host to hire professional service to clear up their messy pee stained on carpet and carpet runner in their own room by their big pup dog.

Although this host is very proud of a high score. But, when thing occurred unexpectedly and badly, the true color shows off whether you are a honest or dishonest host.

Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this kind of dishonest hosts?

Pictures of the shared room posted on host home page (no carpet runner).

Screenshot_20220508-211859_Photos.jpg

Evidence of property damage claimed by the host. This room has carpet runner and additional furniture which is not from the room we stayed!

thumbnail.jpg

Jason2021
Level 2
Wenatchee, WA

Yes unfortunately Airbnb has become a platform for dishonest greedy hosts. Nowadays there is a 50/50 chance that you're going to pay way too much money to stay in a dump. The host will Photoshop pics of their listing to make it look a hundred times better than it really is and then make their listing non-refundable so you can't get your money back. I use Airbnb a lot for my work travels and I have come across way too many fraudulent listings. Some of them have been absolutely unlivable. Mold on the walls, stains all over the place, holes in the walls, terrible smells, terrible neighborhoods.....etc. All you have to go off of is the pics and those are easily faked. The risk is way too high especially for long stays which cost upwards of $5,000 a month. My advice would be to never stay in a listing that is non-refundable. That's a huge red flag. It generally means that they're hiding something. An honest host will refund your money if you're dissatisfied. 

Ian37700
Level 6
Warrnambool, Australia

Good hosts hate to hear this. To minimise problems look at review history for clues and ratings. Airbnb will take on complaints particularly if you have evidence such as photos. Your report alone may not directly change anything but over time these hosts will be weeded out as their rating will fall too low. It sounds like you had many good experiences and one bad experience. While not good remember the good times as life isn't perfect and don't let it ruin your good experiences.