Do you need to mention the security cameras in the details?

Answered!
Danny627
Level 5
San Jose, CA

Do you need to mention the security cameras in the details?

I have cameras surrounding the property and one monitoring the pool. I checked the box that say that we have security cameras on the premise but should I mention it again somewhere in the listing details? Where would be a good place to mention this? 

Also, the garage will be locked with no guest access as it is used for our personal storage. Is it ok to keep the camera in there? 

1 Best Answer

Hello @Danny627 

To answer your last question, yes you can create an automatic message that can be sent to all your guests but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to send it out when they book which would give you a second chance to send a reminder if you haven't received it a week before they arrive?  Just a thought.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897?locale=en

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Danny627 you should mention the cameras somewhere in the property description if you can as well as saying you have them. The one monitoring the pool will not be liked by many people.

The garage should fine as no guest should be in there to find it.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You live in a place where many things could go wrong even with the best of intentions. ~IF~ the camera by the pool is for safety reasons it is understandable, but I would rethink your position. Perhaps best to take the camera out because it will make too many guests very nervous, and require way too much explanation; but then have the guests sign a liability waiver to cover yourself, if necessary (according to CA law). Where we live a simple 'Swim At Your Own Risk' sign at the premise suffices to exonerate us from liability by way of example.

Thanks, we just one of those sign up outside. 

The camera is not noticable as it sits 25+ high and someone would have to be bird watching to see it. 

Here's a view from the camera. 

I don't have a problem with removing it if it would make the guest feel better. 

pool.png

Honestly, your intention one could see is noble and makes total sense. Unfortunately it may lead the abusive type to use it otherwise, especially with Airbnb. Good luck.

I don't have a problem with removing that one camera, it's no big deal. The camera was put in place for us to watch our children when they were younger. 

I will also send the pool waiver and request that the guests sign them before arriving. Is this something you can automate through AirBNB or do you just send this directly to the guest like a week before arriving? 

Hello @Danny627 

To answer your last question, yes you can create an automatic message that can be sent to all your guests but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to send it out when they book which would give you a second chance to send a reminder if you haven't received it a week before they arrive?  Just a thought.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897?locale=en

All the best

Joëlle

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Danny627 ,

@Mike-And-Jane0 and @Fred13 's suggestions are to the point!

To add to this discussion, I also wanted to share a few Resource Center articles to help you explore Camera disclosure policies : 

👉  All about Camera Disclosure 

👉 Informing guests about security devices 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Fred13 @Mike-And-Jane0 Following the instruction in the link, I updated the listing with as much details about the camera as I could. Link to listing below... would this be satifactory?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/856454536478144783

"For safety reasons, camera are installed on the exterior of the property."

A wiseguy would argue the 'deception' of the word 'exterior', claiming it implies showing only the outside areas beyond the property boundaries.

Some things are just not worth it.

@Danny627 I don't see how anyone could now claim the cameras were not disclosed. To combat @Fred13 's thought perhaps change 'property' to 'building'.

You mean to be more specific. Building is more accurate.

The facts are that there are two choices (actually 3):

1. Be very explicit where they are and explain why or 

2. Exclude them altogether or

3. Make them a feature in your hosting (optional) - give the guest the option to have it on or not (and able to monitor it) like in case they bring children with them. Perhaps the word to be use for these 'cameras' is 'monitor', for that would be its real purpose.

Good luck.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Btw, the subject of cameras is a most important one, and Airbnb (I have heard) is addressing the subject anew shortly, probably to give more specific guidance to hosts.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

remove the one by the pool. Invasion of privacy. That’s creepy

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Danny627 You have to mention every camera in DETAIL.  For a property that has cameras, add it to the "Other things to note" part of your description and then detail it again in your welcome message to the guest.  I rented a house where the owner told me which cameras were functioning while empty and which cameras were to be turned off for my privacy. 

Guests will request refunds if there are any cameras that they discover that are not in the listing, and even then any camera complaints will get refunded by CS.

Remove the one camera that overlooks the pool.  That is an invasion of privacy.