Fees for early check-in. Payment - communication - experience?

Answered!
Pawel0
Level 2
M, Germany

Fees for early check-in. Payment - communication - experience?

Early check-in fees. How to settle?

Hello all,
after having several requests for extreme early ceck-in, I would like to introduce a fee for it. Airbnb does not provide for such a thing in its costs and fees section. So my question: who of you charges for early check-in and how do you manage the payment? How do you communicate this fee in your listing? What experiences do you have?
Thank you in advance for your contributions.

1 Best Answer
Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

I almost always allow both early check in and late check out, if asked, and then for no extra cost. I can do this as I never have check out and in on the same day (too stressful for me). But I understand that this solution is not right for all hosts.

I think the best way to handle the payment of such a fee, is via the ”Send or request money” function (see photo), that you can use after a booking is confirmed, and it can be used before the guest checks in. Then you keep everything on platform/in the app, which is best. 

Communication: I would mention the fee in the listing, and if someone messages you asking for early check in, and has not noted the fee, just point them in the right direction. 

F57CBF8E-FE31-41D4-BE3A-05C0B872EA14.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pawel0 we don't allow extreme early check in. If people want this then they book an extra night before they arrive. 

Whilst our check in time is 4pm-10pm we do allow early check in (say from midday) if a) we are ready, b) the guest asks nicely, and c) if it suits US. We do this for free as, like a late check out, it engenders good will.

Hi Mine-And-JAne0!
Thank you very much for your contribution. Yes, I too think that I will follow the same standards as you when granting an early check-in. But since that is always associated with some circumstance for me, I would like to charge a fee for that.

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Pawel0 

Likewise I am always happy to accommodate early check ins and late check outs, only provided that I can achieve these comfortably within my personal circumstances and without detriment to other arriving or departing guests on any particular day.

It is extremely unlikely that I could achieve a very early check in when other guests are staying the night before, but I have no problem at all with very late check ins. Otherwise I can often alternatively accommodate drop offs or temporary storage of bags during the cleaning and preparation window.

Guests find both these options extremely useful. I make no additional charge for either service as I only offer them when they are equally suitable for me. 

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

I almost always allow both early check in and late check out, if asked, and then for no extra cost. I can do this as I never have check out and in on the same day (too stressful for me). But I understand that this solution is not right for all hosts.

I think the best way to handle the payment of such a fee, is via the ”Send or request money” function (see photo), that you can use after a booking is confirmed, and it can be used before the guest checks in. Then you keep everything on platform/in the app, which is best. 

Communication: I would mention the fee in the listing, and if someone messages you asking for early check in, and has not noted the fee, just point them in the right direction. 

F57CBF8E-FE31-41D4-BE3A-05C0B872EA14.jpeg

Dear Vanessa,
thank you very much for your contribution.
Yes, I think that is the right way to do it (if you want and/or need to). Thank you especially for pointing out that you can definitely make the payment request before the guest arrives. I was not aware of that yet.
Greetings

I added an early check in fee after many many times doing expedited cleaning for guests who asked for an early check in and then just don't use it (and don't communicate that).

I very often have back to back guests (last month I had 13 separate parties stay so have a fairly high volume and many guests are low touch, self check in and don't expect much interaction with me). 

I put the below language in my listing and I use 'request money.'

Guests who genuinely want early check in avail of this. The rest just don't bother me again! 

Sometimes I waive the fee if the guest is really nice and personable in their comms.

It's really to weed out the ppl who didn't genuinely have a need for early check in and makes sure I am compensated for my time in adjusting my cleaning schedule and doing an expedited clean.

EARLY CHECK IN: You can request early check-in and if available, agree to pay $20 fee in advance via Airbnb app.
You are welcome to do a bag-drop in the common hallway (not in your apartment) for free if you are arriving in SF before 3pm SAME DAY only. Please message me directly 48 hours in advance of your arrival.

Kjersti13
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Hi,

I have the same dilemma. 
I didn’t know when they booked my place they were going to check in this early, so I didn’t communicate a fee ahead. 

They did check in at 06 am.

That is extremely early. I normally have check in at 14, but I’m flexible for my guests and have never asked for additional fees for that. 

The only reason I could let them in 06 is because I didn’t have guests the night before, but if this was a hotel, I’m sure they would have had to pay for an extra night. 

How do I communicate a early check in fee without hurting my good reviews??

I want to keep my reviews high score and am afraid asking for an extra fee could damage that??

I don’t find Trudes answer to this dilemma sufficientl, as you normally don’t know their check in time when they book. 

Thank you