Host profile questions: Cringe-worthy, intrusive, phishy, unnecessary.

Answered!
Victoria-And-Todd0
Level 8
Waynesville, NC

Host profile questions: Cringe-worthy, intrusive, phishy, unnecessary.

1. 1st of all, they resemble phishing attempts to get your personal data. 
  2. how is that relevant to booking a vacation rental? This is a strictly business transaction,  I do not ask guests what their hobbies,  or favorite songs in high school, what they have for breakfast, or any "fun facts"... so why do they need to know about mine?
  3. 3rd, why are hosts being "scored" on these? I do not want to divulge my personal hobbies, likes/dislikes, etc. It is enough that I am verified and have submitted my ID. 
I can see how SOME may be relevant in a shared space rental (like pets), but for whole-home hosts, these are intrusive and unnecessary

- My work: not relevant at all to book a rental

- Favorite song in high school: not relevant at all to book a rental
- I spend too much time:  not relevant at all to book a rental
- What makes my home unique:  may be relevant but that already has a separate paragraph in the listing describing that
- Pets:  not relevant at all to book a rental
- Where I went to school: not relevant to booking a rental
- Most useless skill:  not relevant at all to book a rental
- Fun fact: not relevant at all to booking a rental
- I'm obsessed with:  what is this juvenile "obsessed with" vocabulary? I am not "obsessed" with anything. 
- My biography title: not relevant at all to booking a rental

- What's for breakfast:  not relevant at all to book a rental
Top Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Victoria-And-Todd0  I could just imagine how I would answer such questions for fun with snarky comments just to see what would happen:

My work:

- Favorite song in high school: Unfortunately, I happen to be deaf
- I spend too much time:  'talking' to aliens from other planets that happen to know sign language
- What makes my home unique:  it isn't
- Pets:  boa constrictors, but my favorite is a python named 'Squeezy'.
- Where I went to school: does reform school count?
- Most useless skill:  too many too choose from
- Fun fact: I can't think of one
- I'm obsessed with:  finishing High School by the time I am 30 year's old.
- My biography title: Mr. Irrelevant
- What's for breakfast:  It's lunch time, should have asked me earlier.

View Top Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

My husband said the same thing. Sounds like info people could use for phishing. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Victoria-And-Todd0  I could just imagine how I would answer such questions for fun with snarky comments just to see what would happen:

My work:

- Favorite song in high school: Unfortunately, I happen to be deaf
- I spend too much time:  'talking' to aliens from other planets that happen to know sign language
- What makes my home unique:  it isn't
- Pets:  boa constrictors, but my favorite is a python named 'Squeezy'.
- Where I went to school: does reform school count?
- Most useless skill:  too many too choose from
- I'm obsessed with:  finishing High School by the time I am 30 year's old.
- My biography title: Mr. Irrelevant
- What's for breakfast:  It's lunch time, should have asked me earlier.
Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Mine would be:

- Favorite song in high school: Can't remember. Far too long ago. Who could possibly want to know?
- I spend too much time:  reading how awful Airbnb guests can be.
- What makes my home unique:  Its location right by the sea and the fossils in the stones of the walls.
- Pets: amonites.
- Where I went to school: You would never have heard of it. Why ask? We are not adolescents.
- Most useless skill:  humouring guests.
- I'm obsessed with:  doing without Airbnb.
- My biography title: Don't know what this means.
- What's for breakfast: Porrige.
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Victoria-And-Todd0 

Sorry to hear the Host profile questions aren't for you!  

The questions are entirely optional, so if you're not comfortable filling them in, you don't have to.

Could you clarify your third point about Hosts being scored on the questions?  it's not something I'm aware of, but I'd be happy to see if there's any resources if I know more about it. 

Thanks!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I have been told by another host that the properties of the hosts who do fill in the questionnaire will be ranked higher. Are you saying it is not so? But still, the questions themselves are 1) very irrelevant to the transaction and 2) very intrusive and borderline phishing-like. 

Where did you hear or read that Victoria?   I would be interested in your findings Jenny.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Victoria-And-Todd0 

There is no evidence that's what Airbnb is doing. Ask the host who told you this to link to information on their content that says this 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't sweat the small stuff . Just fill in the bits you want . Ignore the rest! @Victoria-And-Todd0 

Some people are triggered too easily 🙂 I filled in mine and saw it as a bit of fun. I think it helps to build a rapport with guests especially when Airbnb is used as it was originally meant to be used: renting out a space in your own home and interacting with guests.

Michelle1588
Level 10
New York, NY

I’ve been searching for this thread for months and believe me it wasn’t easy to find. I’m pleased to know there is another host out there with heavy discernment and able to take the blinders off to see that Airbnb has become very intrusive & borderline predatory for host private information. 

I planned to create a post discussing this but in my experience on these boards, there’s a bot like response mentality from hubris users that is filled with sarcasm, rejection to truth, dismissiveness and at times outright rudeness. 

There are also supportive, intelligent & kind hearted people here who are able to demonstrate their caring spirit in responses, but they can get drowned out by the other types. 

I just want to validate your concerns. The platform HAS went too far with the questions. It’s not small stuff so sweating it or giving attention to it is good. It means you’re aware and not easily deceived just to go along to get along for money or whatever we get from Airbnb..

And yes, because I refuse to participate in their data phishing like telling them the brands of my televisions, the position of my sofa from the window (my goodness) and the exact speed / company of my internet & so much more, my account has suffered somewhat.

Hosts who have their own minds and do not easily succumb to new age tech information abuse tactics will be penalized by having their listing reach thwarted.. They even tell you that sharing those details will rank us higher in the search. So it’s not a long shot to believe that the reverse is true. 

I do not like what the platform has become where this is concerned and I don’t think it’s changing. And why would they have to when a chunk of their users choose to stay in denial? Abusers never improve, only worsen and become more clever. 

They hv added a new level above Superhost that is now called Guest Favorite. They are constantly conditioning, controlling and brainwashing hosts to chase more carrots. When I saw that I knew I’d either be leaving soon, or definitely trying other platforms & no longer staying exclusive to this site.

It’s mind boggling to know that many big tech companies have been sued and penalized for phishing, lying, abuse, and selling user data… yet people think Airbnb (Brian Chesky to be clear) is not. 

You’re right.

Those intrusive questions are not there for guest / host experience, and the proof is in the fact that the entire platform is remarkably worst than it was 7 years ago. Very little is done that improves the experience for hosts or guests.

It is becoming some kind of heavily controlled, new world order spy, similar to Whole Foods & their offensive camera eyes at the self checkout - projecting your own face back to you. 

Keep up the good fight Valerie. Your privacy is important and I respect & agree with your concerns.. This post was buried so deep I couldn’t find it for months! I can’t believe it was written in July of this year. I had to Google many different terms to finally pull up this concern.

hv a great day & happy hosting for as long as possible before it becomes some sort of oppressive dystopia..Just because I open my home doesn’t mean I want to tell you all my business & I won’t.