Hosting a property in Spain while living in the UK

Hosting a property in Spain while living in the UK

Hello,

We are thinking of buying a place in Spain to use as a holiday home and holiday rental property.

It's something we have wanted to do for a while now and have decide to just go for it before we are too old haha, just wanted

to get some advice from seasoned hosts as we are new to hosting.

We think we would like to get a place in Costa Blanca as we always watch A Place in the Sun on TV and have seen it loads of times and it looks ideal for us.

How do we even go about buying a property?

Are there specific estate agents in the area that deal with this situation?

How do we know what to charge?

So many more questions but maybe someone can offer some sort of guide and tips

Sorry if the post is a bit vague I just wanted to make my first post and get a feel for the forums,

Looking forward to any replies,

Thanks

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mike3449 you will need a really good, trustworthy co-host in Spain. Find this person before you buy would be my advice.

What is a co-host please?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look on the Airbnb Help website there is a whole section on cohosting. It's basically someone local normally an experienced superhost with lots of great reviews who can help you manage things on the ground or cleaners/maintenance /problem guests etc @Mike3449 

they charge a fee normally a percentage 

don't forget to check on local government websites for the areas you're interested in to see if there are any STR regulations and whether you can meet requirements 

What are STR regulations please?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Mike3449,

Our hosts have shared a great idea about hiring a co-host, and I thought it might be helpful to provide a few resources to give you a better understanding of how a co-host can assist:

I hope you find these resources useful! Keep us posted on how your project progresses.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Mike3449 

I have seen mentioned Airdna.  I haven't tried it yet but your supposed to be able to put nin an address and it can report occupancy and rates to help you identify some possibilities.

Ema3296
Level 3
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Dear Mike, 

Your plan sounds great and I wish you good luck with that.

My experience is that no one can be good host as well as the owner of the property. However, in your case, I recommend finding a good co-host from the local area who can provide guests with excellent service.

Best regards from Bosnia 

Ema