House Rules / Listing being conveniently ignored.

Answered!
Lily489
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

House Rules / Listing being conveniently ignored.

For the second time,  I have had guests turn up fully expecting the use of kitchen with fridge full of groceries. This time I sent a message prior to accepting the booking and said please note cooking and laundry services are not offered. (also said in the listing)

How do I stop this from happening again and again. 

And how do I tell my current guests now he is not meant to cook - its put me in a difficult position. 

When do I ? When I bump into him next or see him cook ?

I'm going to have to allow it, it seems but every time i find myself in a position as such, the guest ends up leaving 4 stars as a thank you. 

So frustrating. 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lily489  REMOVE the picture of the kitchen from your listing.  If you want to show the guest what they can use, take a picture only of the microwave.  Your description of the kitchen use of the refrigerator, plates and cutlery would make it possible for a guest to think that they can prepare a meal.  Guests don't read....if they see a picture of a kitchen, they will plan to use a kitchen.

IMO, taking a picture of an in-room trolley with the coffee maker, microwave, 2 cups and plates would better prepare a guest to be warming up leftovers and ensuring that eating out is necessary.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Lily489 

How frustrating for you, and for the guests. I've a habit of communicating with guests prior to arrival date, confirming everything and asking what questions they might have about house rules, house manual, directions. Restaurant recommendations can be handled as well in correspondence, and weather forecast. So far so good. Imho it is best to get all these things worked out ahead of time. I hope this helps with your situation.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps you are leaving too much to the judgement of guests. I realize you want to be kind and helpful, kudos to you. However this line may be causing the 'problem' -

"The guests have no access to cooking facilities - however they are welcome to use the microwave or store leftovers/take aways, snacks in the fridge, and make use of plates and cutlery." Most would decipher your intent correctly, (no cooking) many however will not (or forget) and maybe that is why you are encountering this issue, at times.

I would put a small refrigeration in the loft and give them less reason to even step in the kitchen. Problem solved.

Probably would be good to put a microwave and small dorm refrig in an area that the guest could use. I had a guest who suggested that. The problem when you are living in the house and sharing the kitchen with a guest, you won't have access to it while they are in their prepping meals, etc. 

If you have an area where the guest can use their own microwave, coffee maker, dorm refrig, etc. it should make it easier. Good luck.

* and coffee maker (Keurig?). Good point @Mark4168 

*and microwave.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lily489  REMOVE the picture of the kitchen from your listing.  If you want to show the guest what they can use, take a picture only of the microwave.  Your description of the kitchen use of the refrigerator, plates and cutlery would make it possible for a guest to think that they can prepare a meal.  Guests don't read....if they see a picture of a kitchen, they will plan to use a kitchen.

IMO, taking a picture of an in-room trolley with the coffee maker, microwave, 2 cups and plates would better prepare a guest to be warming up leftovers and ensuring that eating out is necessary.

Lily489
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thank you @Lorna170 for taking time to reply to me.  I am going to renew listing photography and remove the kitchen. Take advice from @Fred13 and change the wording.  @Mark4168 is absolutely right about, as if my guest is in the kitchen I can not be - which is the main reason I do not wish my guests to cook.. but also because eventually someone would chop without a chopping board and place a hot pan on the worktop which costs ££££ to replace.