How do I list my space? Room? Entire space? It's unclear.

Ann42660
Level 2
Seattle, WA

How do I list my space? Room? Entire space? It's unclear.

I have a space that is the first floor/basement of my home.  It's self contained with a separate entrance but does not have a kitchen.  Because I don't have a kitchen I will refresh water and such, if desired.  I've had this listed as a room but I think it's actually an entire space.  It's over 700 sq ft.  

What would you do?  I think my price is too low because it's listed as a room.   

Thanks for your help.

11 Replies 11
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Ann42660 

My ideas for your thoughts

According to the description and reviews it sounds like your listing would actually be categized as an en site not a room.  An en suite is a separate living room area in the Hosts home that isn't quite apartment because you can access the space and the Guests could access your space though they don't.  You have a bedroom a private living room and no kitchen but you don't have pictures or highlight it sounds like the breakfast area is nicely equipped to make coffee store soda and microwave that is a big plus that would probably increase bookings if you showed that portion of space.  

Thank you Marie.  My guests can't access my space but this does sound like an en suite.  I have added pictures of the breakfast space and have just had professional pictures so am looking forward to it showing better.  

I really appreciate you taking time.  

Ann

Part 2 to my response.  Your advice was perfect.  Again, thank you.

@Ann42660 

i agree with @Marie8425 ...I would classify this as a secondary unit/guest suite. I would also add the sq footage to your description to let guests know it is a good size. Just make it clear there is a private entrance and no kitchen on the listing. I would not enter the space without permission from the guest (which it sounds like you don't 😊). Be sure to list all shared spaces in the Guest Safety Section under Property info (driveway? laundry?) as well as in Other Details to Note. You may need help from Airbnb CS to change the property type from Room to Guest Suite:

Joan2709_0-1723864073220.png

Guest Safety Section

Joan2709_0-1723865410141.png

I would also indicate in this section that pets live on property and potential for noise (you live upstairs):

Joan2709_1-1723865568509.png

Joan2709_2-1723865725520.png

Joan this is great and I'll do as you suggest.  The screen shots are helpful as it's not particularly intuitive. 

Is there a secret to getting Airbnb to help?  It seems like access is somewhat hidden or maybe I'm just impatient and haven't dug around enough.

Ann

i@Ann42660 

Try to change your property type and see if it will let you:

Listing Editor

Property Type (left side)

Joan2709_0-1723925884504.png

If it won't let you change it, or it lets you change it, but still shows as a "Room" in the Listing Title, contact Airbnb by and they can tell you how to remove the property from the "Rooms" Category:

Click your profile photo

Click Visit The Help Center

Scroll All the way to the bottom of the page

Click Contact us and follow the prompts

Joan2709_2-1723925990104.png

Joan2709_1-1723925961766.png

You're the best!

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Ann42660 

I see the breakfast bar now.  I would suggest the cover photo show more of how spacious your area rather than just a bedroom .  Having two rooms is a big plus for simple things like my husband is tired but I want to watch the news. lol

I just got professional photos taken and Airbnb is editing them.  It seems they choose the cover photo so we'll see how that goes...the pics have to be better then my iphone attempts.  My listing now shows up like this.  I'm still in the rooms category.  NO idea why i'm in golfing.  That is just odd.

Ann42660_0-1724003002717.png

Hi Ann,

It sounds like you’re considering changing your listing type on Airbnb, which can indeed impact how guests view your space and how much you can charge. According to Airbnb, Entire place is categorized as follows:

1. Guests have the whole space to themselves. This usually includes a bedroom, a bathroom, and a kitchen, but if the kitchen is not included, it should be clearly stated in the listing. Please see this articles as reference:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/5 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/317

Since your space is a self-contained unit with a separate entrance and over 700 sq ft, it indeed sounds more like an "entire place" than just a private room, even without a kitchen. This distinction is crucial because guests looking for more privacy and space are often willing to pay a premium for entire places.Here’s what I’d suggest:

1. Update the Listing Type: Change your listing to "Entire place." This better reflects the privacy and space you offer.

2. Adjust the Price: Research similar Airbnb listings in your area that are categorized as "entire places" with similar amenities and sizes. See how your current pricing compares and adjust accordingly.

3. Highlight Unique Features: Make sure to highlight the privacy, the separate entrance, and the size of the unit in your listing description. Point out any unique benefits, such as quietness or any special design elements.

4. Address the Lack of Kitchen: Clearly state that there is no kitchen, but emphasize any amenities you offer to compensate, such as a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, or complimentary refreshments.

5. Photos and Descriptions: Update your photos and descriptions to reflect the space’s autonomy and appeal as an entire place.

6. Consider Amenities to Add Value: Even without a full kitchen, adding value with other amenities can justify a higher price. Think about installing a kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker, if space and regulations allow.

By shifting the perception of your listing from a private room to an entire place and adjusting your pricing strategy accordingly, you could potentially attract a different segment of Airbnb users and increase your revenue.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

Alicia this is perfect.  I think I became super curious when I looked at other prices and saw $50 as competitive but those were literally rooms in a house.  Seattle's expensive so it seemed off.  Your recommendations are terrific.  Thank you for taking time.  I THINK I have  been transparent about the shortcomings but feel like I'm better set up for the future. 

Many thanks!

Ann