How do you deal with a guest who lives nearby and violated a rule?

Answered!
Cindy1595
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

How do you deal with a guest who lives nearby and violated a rule?

Hi everyone! I’m new to hosting. I have a no party policy. A recent guess checked out and obviously had a party, but she did not admit to it. After a two day stay, there were eight large bags full of dozens of empty liquor bottles, and beer bottles. There were also empty boxes of fireworks and casings. she registered for five guests, but there were obviously more people from all the towels and beds that were used. Although I don’t have a camera to prove it, I did take photos of all the garbage she left behind. the fireworks are dangerous because my house is in the middle of the woods and fireworks are a fire hazard. 

my fear of having Airbnb contact her is that she will retaliate and vandalize the house or harass my future guests since she lives  close by. I texted her about the huge number of garbage bags and she offered to come take some away since she lived close by  so that’s how I know her location.  Any advice?

1 Best Answer
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

The problem essentially is if you can't prove a party and number of beds used and number of liquor bottles do suggest  but she can just say I drink a lot of alcohol and like to use multiple beds.

If your listing is new or sometimes if your price is too low, you get targeted by the guests that aren't honest.  My profile on Airbnb is since 2016 haha but I moved to Arizona so my listings are only 2 years.  I have had to keep myself to strict  vetting to avoid those that will be a problem.  Location would be a question but it also depends on what type of rental market you are solicite for.  When I had rentals in Honolulu it isn't unusual for someone on  the North Shore to rent in town.  Now in Buckeye AZ lol not exactly a get away lol so anyone from any part of Arizona I  vet strongly doesn't mean all bad I have a regular that often works in my area but her home is a 2 hour commute.

This type of experience and I have had a few myself, I take has a lesson learned thank goodness ithout a serious consequence..

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cindy1595 do nothing with Airbnb. The minute you say there was a party your listing will be suspended. Quite why they have a policy like this I don't know as it discourages people reporting parties. You need a no fireworks rule if they are really dangerous.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Guests who live locally are often a red flag . Did you ask the guest why she wanted to stay when she lives locally.

if you host remotely then CCTV is an essential to make sure only those who have booked use your place. 

you can certainly leave an honest review to warn future hosts considering this guest @Cindy1595 

you can normally see a guests location from their profile when they book. 

thank you. I couldn’t see where she lived from her profile. In fact I couldn’t see anything.  Just that she was verified. How do I find out more information on the guests when they ask to book?  

@Cindy1595 

When you use Request to Book you can ask a prospective guest their reasons for booking, and where they are traveling from.  I do, so that I can customize the amenities for them, give local recommendations, and give appropriate driving directions. If a guest has no information on their profile, I ask them to please update it. That is all we can do...

got it. Thanks for the tip!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do have a look at the Airbnb Help website it has FAQs on all aspects of Airbnb.

and turn off instant book then you can review a guests profile and ask them vetting questions before they book 

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

The problem essentially is if you can't prove a party and number of beds used and number of liquor bottles do suggest  but she can just say I drink a lot of alcohol and like to use multiple beds.

If your listing is new or sometimes if your price is too low, you get targeted by the guests that aren't honest.  My profile on Airbnb is since 2016 haha but I moved to Arizona so my listings are only 2 years.  I have had to keep myself to strict  vetting to avoid those that will be a problem.  Location would be a question but it also depends on what type of rental market you are solicite for.  When I had rentals in Honolulu it isn't unusual for someone on  the North Shore to rent in town.  Now in Buckeye AZ lol not exactly a get away lol so anyone from any part of Arizona I  vet strongly doesn't mean all bad I have a regular that often works in my area but her home is a 2 hour commute.

This type of experience and I have had a few myself, I take has a lesson learned thank goodness ithout a serious consequence..