How the Pre-booking message works in 2023

Answered!
Tariq52
Level 4
Squamish, Canada

How the Pre-booking message works in 2023

Hey, it seems like the pre-booking message has changed a lot in the recent years, and was even removed at some point. Can anyone share their experience with it and provide some more info on how it works? Do guests see this message and have to reply BEFORE they instant book? Or do they simply see it after? 

I think it's important to establish communication with guests, to ensure that they are responsive in the event I do need to contact them. I recently had a guest stay and they didn't say a word back to my several messages. They also didn't leave a review, no surprise there. I'd like to leave the instant book on but the no communication thing makes me nervous.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tariq52_0-1699142421051.png

Top Answer
Tariq52
Level 4
Squamish, Canada

Okay, I reached out to Airbnb and got the answer I was looking for.

When you enable the pre-booking message with Instant Book, the guest will receive the message as soon as they reserve. The reservation will be in Pending status until they reply, to which they have 24 hours to respond. 

So, technically they are pre-approved until they respond, pretty simple. I think it's a great way to make sure that you've established communication with the guest, while still allowing them to Instant Book.

View Top Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello Tariq –

I don’t have an answer for your pre-booking message, but I completely relate. I too feel guest communication is very important!  It's crucial. 

Our hosting situation is a bit different than yours. We don’t allow Instant Booking.

We host our home in Oaxaca, Mexico.  Given the unique nature of our property, we have to have established clear communication with a potential guest during the reservation booking process, continuing through their entire stay.

Trust me, things come up and you have to be in contact with guests! 

With our property, I only feel comfortable booking a guest if they are professional and responsive communicators.  They are staying at our home after all!

For us, clear communication is essential and necessary. We are hosting in a foreign country with international guests. 

Yet, I feel no matter where you host or how you host, professional “Host – Guest” communications is important!

Best,

John

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/650711786712532742?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=810cbd39-59b2...

Tariq52
Level 4
Squamish, Canada

Okay, I reached out to Airbnb and got the answer I was looking for.

When you enable the pre-booking message with Instant Book, the guest will receive the message as soon as they reserve. The reservation will be in Pending status until they reply, to which they have 24 hours to respond. 

So, technically they are pre-approved until they respond, pretty simple. I think it's a great way to make sure that you've established communication with the guest, while still allowing them to Instant Book.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tariq52 ! Thank you so much for coming back and updating us with your findings. I will also tag @John7474 as he had contributed some amazing tips and may find this piece of information useful!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines