How to add/manage photos and create Where You'll Sleep section whilst retaining old photo gallery style

Answered!

How to add/manage photos and create Where You'll Sleep section whilst retaining old photo gallery style

how to add photos to the "where you'll sleep" section, BUT WITHOUT going through the Photo Tour feature.

This is regarding my listing here titled "Pontoon...": https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1056709455072326679

For context, here is one of my listings (titled "Luxury...") that already has this feature enabled:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/894142248730806827

And for reference, this is a screenshot of what that section looks like from a guests view: prnt.sc/B9tw934uFZQY

For additional reference, you can see on my new listing (titled "Pontoon"), that it does NOT have this feature enabled. Here is a screenshot: prnt.sc/ptnFTJ1nA4h8

MY PROBLEM is that the only way I know how to enable this "Where you'll sleep" feature is if I go to Listings>Edit listing "Pontoon...">click Photo Tour>Create Rooms & Spaces. BUT the moment that I click the Photo Tour button to manage these spaces, IT CHANGES MY ENTIRE PHOTO GALLERY to a new version where i cannot change the orientation of any of my photos.

For example, from the guest's view of my listing, if i do not use Photo Tour, it looks just how i want it, like this: prnt.sc/2wHLJiTt1F3P

BUT if i click into the Photo Tour, IT CHANGES MY ENTIRE PHOTO GALLERY layout to a new layout that i do not want. An example of what it automatically changes my photo gallery to can be seen here (a random airbnb listing): prnt.sc/d_thFY6IDnqT

Can you help me add this "Where you'll Sleep" with photos Feature into my new listing titled "Pontoon..." BUT still keep my photo gallery to it's original layout as it is now?

ADDITIONALLY If i even just click the Photo Tour section (currently the only area to access my listings photos) I am also unable to add or remove photos, add photo descriptions or manage the order of any existing photos. Doing so, as explained, changes my entire photo gallery orientation.

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Torin35 and @Joan2709 

With the new Release that will become the norm for all listings at the end of the month, you can still choose which photos will show up in those all important top 5 pictures for guests to see initially. So the format is just as before and initially the listing page as seen by guests isn't any different.  It is only when they click on one of these 5 photos that the Photo tour begins and where the layout is standardised with the Living area coming up automatically as the first room they visit, then the Kitchen, then the Dining room etc.

You have a fabulous outdoor space so I imagine these pictures will be in your top 5 pictures.  Now to manage the order of the photos, when you are on the split page with the Photo Tour on the right hand side, you'll see All photos.  This is where you can click and drag your photos to change the sequence.  This is also where you can choose your cover photo by clicking on your preferred photo and you'll see the option of Make this your cover photo.  You have the added option of changing this photo and any others to a different room of your choice because the algorithm doesn't always get that right.  So although you cannot keep the same order of ALL of your photos when you switch to the new Release, you can at least keep the first five and they are the ones that determine if a guests clicks on your listing or passes you by.

If you want to add a room then you have to go to the Photo tour page (split screen) and you'll see a + sign next to  All photos.  If you click on this + sign you have the option of either adding new photos or adding a room from a great range of new rooms that might better describe your listing.

You can add the amenities per room too which is great so that guests can see at a glance what is included in that room.

With the old version, I had the photos of the bedrooms showing up in the "Where you'll sleep" by going into rooms and spaces and then editing and choosing the corresponding photos but I imagine you've tried that already.

With the New Release, the "Where you'll sleep'" section is still there with the photos of the bedrooms although a lot of us experienced a case of the photos being reversed with the wrong bedroom showing up in the wrong order but there is a work around if this happens.

To note: if hosts have a sofa bed in their Living Area, then the Photo tour will show this room in the "Where you will sleep" section first - BEFORE bedroom #1 etc which hosts are not happy about.

It's important to use the preview function that you see in host mode to be able to see how guests will view your listing.

Best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Torin35, I am reaching out to our amazing Hosts @Joelle43 and @Joan2709 to ask for their advice on this.

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Get rid of the photo tour.

Stephen

Hi @Torin35 

Yes...I did not opt in early to the new 2023 Winter Release with the new AI photo tour. Many Hosts have complained here that there are alot of issues with it though. Maybe @Joelle43 can shed some light on the problems you are having?

I believe the old method of adding photos to the Rooms & Spaces section will probably be gone when the new release becomes system wide on Jan 26th. Not sure if the "Where You'll Sleep" section of the listing will remain either. We have the problem of trying to add a photo of a bed in the common living space of the the living room in this section. The AI keeps choosing a picture of the living room with couch instead of the picture of the bed? Sigh. Even when we delete all the other photos of the living room and only leave the one with the bed, it will NOT populate the "Where You'll Sleep" section with that photo. Sigh. 

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Torin35 and @Joan2709 

With the new Release that will become the norm for all listings at the end of the month, you can still choose which photos will show up in those all important top 5 pictures for guests to see initially. So the format is just as before and initially the listing page as seen by guests isn't any different.  It is only when they click on one of these 5 photos that the Photo tour begins and where the layout is standardised with the Living area coming up automatically as the first room they visit, then the Kitchen, then the Dining room etc.

You have a fabulous outdoor space so I imagine these pictures will be in your top 5 pictures.  Now to manage the order of the photos, when you are on the split page with the Photo Tour on the right hand side, you'll see All photos.  This is where you can click and drag your photos to change the sequence.  This is also where you can choose your cover photo by clicking on your preferred photo and you'll see the option of Make this your cover photo.  You have the added option of changing this photo and any others to a different room of your choice because the algorithm doesn't always get that right.  So although you cannot keep the same order of ALL of your photos when you switch to the new Release, you can at least keep the first five and they are the ones that determine if a guests clicks on your listing or passes you by.

If you want to add a room then you have to go to the Photo tour page (split screen) and you'll see a + sign next to  All photos.  If you click on this + sign you have the option of either adding new photos or adding a room from a great range of new rooms that might better describe your listing.

You can add the amenities per room too which is great so that guests can see at a glance what is included in that room.

With the old version, I had the photos of the bedrooms showing up in the "Where you'll sleep" by going into rooms and spaces and then editing and choosing the corresponding photos but I imagine you've tried that already.

With the New Release, the "Where you'll sleep'" section is still there with the photos of the bedrooms although a lot of us experienced a case of the photos being reversed with the wrong bedroom showing up in the wrong order but there is a work around if this happens.

To note: if hosts have a sofa bed in their Living Area, then the Photo tour will show this room in the "Where you will sleep" section first - BEFORE bedroom #1 etc which hosts are not happy about.

It's important to use the preview function that you see in host mode to be able to see how guests will view your listing.

Best

Joëlle

Thank you so much @Joelle43 !

That really helps me and answers alot of questions that I'm sure many other Hosts have now and will have when the photo tour is live across the platform at the end of the month! 

I’m a host and the photo tour option is a really bad idea, it groups the pic wrong assuming more rooms and thinks a certain angle of the room is a new room. It’s obviously AI. But doesn’t work in your favour if you’re good at placing pics in a really great order or flow.

Not a fan at all.

What is the "work around"?

Stephen

What is the work around re "where you will sleep?"

Stephen