How to make property more discoverable - any tips?

Answered!
Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

How to make property more discoverable - any tips?

I've always wondered how to make my listing appear on the first 2 or 3 pages without narrowing down the search filter. A quick Google told me that popularity, price, frequently updated title etc etc all helps.

However even though I update the listing, have a high rate of bookings with a competitive price, my property always seem be down the listings, with properties more expensive and a with fewer rating and reviews on the first pages.

I'm starting to think it's totally random, can anyone enlighten me? It took a while to find my property when I done a search this morning, its worrying. 

1 Best Answer
Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Robbie54 You have a ton of reviews, your prices seem competitive, and your calendar is wide open.  GREAT JOB. 

1. ** Keep working to delight your guests and get you into the 4.95 zone where you belong.  Then get to 4.97.  Then get to 4.98.  Then get to 4.99.  
  2. ** Get a professional photographer in there.  Find some listings that you admire and roll out some of their ideas as it relates to their pictures/perspectives/arrangement
  3. Your copywrite is decent!  But it can be improved.  Again, find a listing you like and emulate what they're doing
  4. If you can save some money and invest in the property, do it!  Here are some low cost ideas that I would do (in order of most expensive to least)
    1. Get rid of those upper cabinets in the kitchen and replace with open shelving that looks congruent from one end of the counter to the other
    2. Replace that bed - there should never be a headboard covering/competing with a nice big window
    3. The linens on the twin beds look cheap and the bedside tables don't match
    4. **
    5. Get rid of the used car lot flags in the twin bed bedroom; **
  5. Add captions to each and every one of your new images - tell us what we're looking at!

You are VERY close!  You can do this!  You WILL make that 1st page!

** Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Robbie54!

I've clarified your post title a bit and moved in onto our Hosting board, just to see if it helps get some more attention for your question.

In the meantime I thought this article might help you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Robbie54   What's the advantage in appearing in more unfiltered searches? More views from guests who aren't a match for your listing?

Robbie54
Level 10

@Anonymous or more views from guests who are? I would have thought most guests only put in dates, price and guest numbers when searching, I doubt most wouldn't give a monkey's about superhost etc. I just found my property hard to find without being very specific, it doesn't even appear on the map without me zooming in to the exact spot where I'm located.  So yes, there's an advantage to answer your question. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Robbie54 

I guess there is no magic trick, we would all be doing it by now,

I have seen video's on YT explaining how SEO works on airbnb maybe you could try that,

For us here in Phuket we have had a great year the best low season we have every had, but I dont know the reason why,

I do use a channel manager program they claim to get me on the first page, 

increase your property profit and efficiency!
Sudsrung0_5-1664583908408.png

Show up on the 1st page of listings' websites/vacation rental marketplaces
Sudsrung0_6-1664583908411.png

Manage multiple listings on Airbnb/Booking/VRBO
Sudsrung0_7-1664583908412.png

Automate your communication with a single inbox
Sudsrung0_8-1664583908413.png

Efficiently manage cleaning tasks
Sudsrung0_9-1664583908414.png

Use a powerful channel manager
and much more!
Richard531
Level 10

@Robbie54 You have a ton of reviews, your prices seem competitive, and your calendar is wide open.  GREAT JOB. 

1. ** Keep working to delight your guests and get you into the 4.95 zone where you belong.  Then get to 4.97.  Then get to 4.98.  Then get to 4.99.  
  2. ** Get a professional photographer in there.  Find some listings that you admire and roll out some of their ideas as it relates to their pictures/perspectives/arrangement
  3. Your copywrite is decent!  But it can be improved.  Again, find a listing you like and emulate what they're doing
  4. If you can save some money and invest in the property, do it!  Here are some low cost ideas that I would do (in order of most expensive to least)
    1. Get rid of those upper cabinets in the kitchen and replace with open shelving that looks congruent from one end of the counter to the other
    2. Replace that bed - there should never be a headboard covering/competing with a nice big window
    3. The linens on the twin beds look cheap and the bedside tables don't match
    4. **
    5. Get rid of the used car lot flags in the twin bed bedroom; **
  5. Add captions to each and every one of your new images - tell us what we're looking at!

You are VERY close!  You can do this!  You WILL make that 1st page!

** Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines

Robbie54
Level 10

@Richard531 I only asked how to get my property bumped up in the search listing, not for someone to negatively criticise the place, which is what you've done. I'm sure you had good intentions, however it came across as rude. And btw, in what universe is 4.91 a really bad rating? I've had over 350 reviews, the law of average says that I'm going to get some guests that are never going to be happy with whatever I provide. Also, have not been reading how the review ratings work on these pages? Have a closer look,  you'll be shocked. 

I've looked at your many listings and you're what I call top tier, your properties look amazing, and people pay a premium  for it. Total opposite to mine and my target market. Although not sure about the pictures with people in, they look over the top and cheesy to me. 

Richard531
Level 10

@Robbie54 My mistake. . .  I read your OP and deduced that you actually wanted to know how to get your listing on the 1st page.  

Instead, it sounds like you wanted people to say that "it's Airbnb's fault" or "the algorithm is out to get you" or "don't sweat it, you're doing great enough already" or "only OMG/tip tier listings get on the 1st page" or "just relax and enjoy your life." 

OK.  My bad.  

It's Airbnb's fault.  The algorithm is out to get you.  Don't sweat it, you're doing great enough already.  Only OMG/top tier listings get on the 1st page.  Just relax and enjoy your life.  

Robbie54
Level 10

@Richard531 "It's Airbnb's fault.  The algorithm is out to get you.  Don't sweat it, you're doing great enough already.  Only OMG/top tier listings get on the 1st page.  Just relax and enjoy your life. "  What are you talking about? There are plenty of average properties like mine who are on the 1st page, it's not all top tier properties. This is why I questioned how they get on the 1st page, what's the criteria. To me it seems very random. 

Richard531
Level 10

@Robbie54  If you want to be on the 1st page, like my properties are most of the time, do what I initially said.  Improve your guest's experience and invest a bunch of time/money to improve your property and your Airbnb listing.  

Yes, the algo rotates about 75% the properties on the 1st page in a pretty much random fashion.  Everyone "gets a turn."  However, keep running tests.  Day after day, hour after hour.  We run these tests obsessively.  Almost every day.  Be sure to run them from a VPN and do your search Incognito so the results are actionable.  Once you keep running those tests, you're going to start seeing the same handful of listings on the first page over and over again.  

Those repeat 1st page listings are going to have 3 things in common: They are 4.95+.  They are "Rare Find" listings and have zero vacancy (my detailed suggestions will help you become that).  They are priced right/have full calendar availability (you're already doing this).  

There's not an app extension or something you can do sitting on your computer to get on the 1st page. It takes a ton of actual work.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Richard531 is incorrect on this.  It's not only top tier listing that are on page one. I am on page 1 (when filtering for house shares) for my city with over 3000 plus listings. And still towards the end of page one for ALL listings. 

And he is wrong when he says you have to invest a bunch of money and time. I do neither 🙂 

@Robbie54  I wouldn't say random but arbitrary might be a better word. Using IB, lots of great reviews and ratings, decent photos and copy, having availability, being a SH can all contribute to your rankings. 

I have a homeshare but do have a look at mine for ideas on a single listing. 

The formula is simple, understand what your customer wants and write your listing and photograph it from their prospective. Highlight key benefits that you know are of interest to customers who are your target market. Provide amenities you know they would like. You can make their stay memorable with unexpected treats for example I sometimes provide home made cakes or biscuits or retro chocolates. I  sometimes also provide a tailored walk around of the local area. I provide high quality bedding and a mattress and extras like board games and reading books. I provide dressing gowns and a hairdryer and fresh flowers in the summer from my garden.

What I would say is that focus on getting the bookings you want. If you are it doesn't matter if you are on page 1 as long as you're generating what you need income wise.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Richard531 

Sorry your comments come across as incredibly rude...and patronising. You can provide advice and support in answer to @Robbie54's  question without putting him down in your replies. 

And then when you are called out on your reply rather than checking what you wrote again to realise how your reply came across you provide a further sarcastic reply.

You can't compare what you do, running an airbnb property management company - with a  host with a single property.

Words fail me....

Richard531
Level 10

@Helen3  The goal was to give advice in a short amount of time.  I realize that I use few words and get to the point quickly.  Some find it rude/patronizing, others find it to be tough love.  There's nothing in my reply that needs to be "checked." @Robbie54  can take it or leave it.  If he takes it, he'll see improvement in Search.  If he leaves it, he will likely stay in the same place.  

Years go, when I had a single property, the best advice I ever got was someone telling me that my listing sucked.  I thought I was doing pretty good!  I wasn't.  Someone slapped me around and set me straight.  It hurt my feelings a little.  But this is business.  I went out there, worked hard, and fixed it.  Tough love works for some people, others call it rude/patronizing.    

And for the record, we are absolutely not a property management company.  My wife and I own 100% of our listings outright.  We buy/build/design/procure/manage/maintain/iterate them end-to-end.  We would never even think of doing the work that we do to take only 20-30% of their revenue.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Whether you own properties outright or host on behalf of others have larger number of listing does bring you into the category of being a property management company.  I've run quite a few award winning businesses - none involved putting others down to get my point across.

So sad that you refuse to acknowledge you can get your message across without being downright rude @Richard531 

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

I think airbnb loves all the strange ‘wow’ listings.  Those listings keep popping up at the first pages. Sleep in an elephant shaped house, an UFO or other strange listings