How to make sure guests folllow the check in times?

How to make sure guests folllow the check in times?

Hello Airbnb Community,

I have my third stay where the guests want to check in really late. The first time was supposed to be around 9pm and ended up past 12 am which was a bad experience for me. And now I've bought a lockbox even though I didn't want to just to make sure I don't get stuck waiting around for guests. However, is there any other advice anyone has? Maybe I'm missing something but I did put in specific check in and check out times and added late fees to my house rules. As of now, it should be set to check in 4-6pm. Here is my listing link, airbnb.com/h/dekroon

Does anyone see any changes I should make? If so, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. 

Kind regards,
Sonia

14 Replies 14

@Sonia1891 

Right now the listing link says your check in is 2-4pm not 4-6pm?

Several Hosts I work with have check-in windows like yours. Several things you can do:

1. Add your check-in window to the description or other details to note on the listing

2. When a guest books, add a paragraph to your Welcome Message about the check-in window

3. Add a paragraph to your Check-in message about the check-in window

4. Get a smart lock for self check-in. Manual keys will get lost or not returned by guests

"Please note our check-in window is between 4-6pm. If you know your approximate time of arrival, please let us know ."

@Joan2709 I use the Schlage app.  It gives my guests a code and notifies me when they check in and lock up.  It goes with the Airbnb app, which I love.  I also have a Ring doorbell.

I'd love to do this but I'm tech hesitant. When you say it works with the Airbnb app what does that mean? Sorry if that requires more of an explanation than you have time for.

You are right to be tech hesitant.
Making a fool-proof self check in system requires a LOT of work, you also need to have in place plan B, C, D.
What if people don't read your instructions?  For sure they will call you on arrival you have to be available.
Is your lock a door lock or a lockbox?  If lockbox, what if cleaners  or prior guest forget to leave the keys inside?
Are you on-site?  But just working or occupied with family outside of check in times?  Or are you paying a local assistant to check your guests in?
You can't rely on your cleaner to do everything, glitches will happen.

Me too I have all that.

What if codes get mixed up?  What if guest can't find the door, are at a neighours door?  Have you never had a late night arrival with a glitch (internet down? electricity off and modem reset?).  Does the guest need his phone to be on-line (he could have no service or be out of battery)?

Do your guests all read and understand the instructions?

@Sonia1891 I agree with Joan, and is what I do too.  The confirmation of booking message, as well as the welcome message, I send reiterates check-in/out dates and times.  

Here’s an sample of the welcome message I send a couple of days before check-in:

Hi ___,

Check-in day is on ___ between 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM (Pacific time).

Please refer to the photos above for parking and check-in instructions.

The fence gate will be left open for your arrival. Kindly close the gate behind you.

We look forward to welcoming you and hope you enjoy your stay!

Best regards,
Farah

Don't just "add it to the welcome message"; 
You have to chase after it and get a response so the guest realises check in is not a free-for-all. 

In my experience this avoids 80% of check in misery.

And if the guest is not respectful, the fact that you chased after it upon booking, plays to your advantage later when they string you along for a late night arrival.  If you've been diligent in your communication you will get airbnb to cancel the reservation for non respect of host rules, or keys given next day with no discount.

Marilyn50
Level 2
Raleigh Hills, OR

My guests are able to check in any time.  I have a keyless lock and program the last four numbers of their listed phone number. That way there is no key to be lost or misplaced.

And they always know what code is.   Addition to above message.  Works great

I just had a situation with my neighbour who rented to a group of 4 people.
The primary guest of course had the keypad code.
He did not share with the other guests.
They went out and one of the guests returned home, the primary guest was asleep (passed out) in the apartment.  The other guests could not get in because only the primary guest had been in the conversation and had the code.
As a result the other guests went around ringing all the neighbours to see if they could jump from the neighouring apartments to their place.

I'm explaining this to say, the keypad code is great and works, until it doesn't!

No matter what every host has to be on call and able to provide alternatives to their guest for entering the apartment.  That's why we meet and greet all guests.

A Smart lock for self check-in and sending the guest a lock code should solve your problem. If you want to personally greet and check people in, like I do, then you are at the mercy of the customer. If you and the customer agree on a check-in time and they don't show up on time (I have a 15-min. leeway rule) then just note it in your review or a note for other hosts to see.

Many times I have the opposite situation, people ask to check-in early and then don't show up on the agreed upon time. As I live on the premises it is usually not a problem unless I had something scheduled. If you want those great reviews you sometimes have to bend over backwards for people.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Sonia1891 

I think your check in time should be based on typical arrival times.  When I did a travel spot people flying in international flights were generally late arrivals.  Currently nI do mostly business travel driving in on Sunday.  My check in time is before 7 pm.  Before I accept a booking I remind them, mostly because my dogs like to bark hello and other guests have to get up early for work Monday.  I just say no if someone can't arrive by 7 come the next day stay at a hotel 1 night.

"before I accept a booking I remind them"
Me too!
My guests fly in.
Before accepting I get flight arrival times.  And I ask them to withdraw their trip request if flight arriving too late. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Hi Sonia!

Communicating to guests around check in times is one of my biggest challenges.
We're superhosts with 7 properties and five years experience.
I've made the choice, that to keep my mental and physical health, and to retain my helpers who assist with check ins, we have to put boundaries and really enforce our check in time limits.

Late night arrivals create multiple issues.
- Flights have more delays late in the day, more problems accumulate, you are at risk of waiting up all night

- EVEN IF you have self check in lockbox, at night time, people have trouble following even the best instructions.  And so IME you have to wait up for "that call" when they "can't get into the lockbox", basically you're on call until they've successfully entered your place.
- Lockboxes can fail!  Cleaners can forget to put the keys inside! Internet can be down, guest cell phone out of battery, guest can simply have trouble manipulating it.  So self check in is not a surefire answer.

- Guests get disoriented, have a few drinks on the flight, want to have dinner before check in, get lost easier in the dark, have more trouble being on time and following instructions
- Guests arrive late and realize they have no food and restaurants are closed, which makes for bad check in experience, I'd rather refuse the stay than have it start on a bad note
etc etc etc

As a result here is what we do!

- Make check in window VERY clear in multiple places on the listing:  In the description, in "other things to note", in house rules - not just filling in the times but mention it specifically in your rules "cutoff time 10 pm, if you arrive later keys given next day".

- Put it in your INSTANT BOOK message 

- If you get a TRIP REQUEST, message them immediately and only approve the request after they have given you their flights or driving itinerary and requested check in time

- If you get an INSTANT BOOK,  message them immediately to get their flight/drive, and follow up until you get an answer.  You should set instant book to only experienced guests with good reviews to avoid having novices who don't realize they need to communicate with you.

- Pre-schedule automated messages 1 week before the stay and 1 day before the stay, where you remind of your check in procedure and rules.  I personalise these when I know the flight times saying "just checking your flight is still on track to arrive 13:00" or whatever.  So they know you are following

- Let them know "we meet you with the keys, we'll be on-line during your arrival day waiting for your messaged to confirm the check in meeting".  If you have self check in, let them know that you are on-line and will only go to bed when they have messaged you from inside the apartment.  Or say that if they arrive after X time,  they will not be able to get assistance until the next morning (this is not ideal, you should stay onine untile the guest is in).

- Have a virtual guide or use Airbnb's template, and put these rules in there as well

- Your HOUSE RULES should include not just the check in time but a mention that guests must respond to your airbnb messages and if they are unresponsive the booking can be cancelled

The main thing is, communicate multiple times and multiple ways.

Good luck and happy hosting to everyone!