If they book and then send a message that they have a service animal, are people charging for the service animal.

Diana2792
Level 1
Alamogordo, NM

If they book and then send a message that they have a service animal, are people charging for the service animal.

Food and water dishes are my concern, as well as pet hair in newly carpeted room.

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Diana2792 

If the animal meets the minimum guidelines https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1869  then legally you are nor allowed to charge a disabled person for any assistive tools they use to función per the Federal Laws not Airbnb.  They are actually protecting you.,  From the Host side when someone tells me Service Animal I say no problem but my expectation is these guidelines.  That has worked real service animals come no problems, other service animals are jut suddenly not coming.

Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Diana2792 , It’s important to understand that service animals are not considered pets. A service animal is a dog or miniature horse that’s individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with disabilities.

You must allow service animals to accompany guests while they’re staying on your property.  You can’t charge the guest a pet fee. You also can’t charge additional fees, unless they generally apply to all guests. 

Some guests may travel with emotional support animals, which are different from service animals. You can charge fees for emotional support animals, except in places where laws may not allow it, such as New York state and California.

You can find more information here:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-you-need-to-know-about-hosting-pets-463

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1869

Kind regards.

Elena. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't charge for service animals. You don't have to accept emotional support pets.

@Diana2792 

you can ask the guest what tasks their service animal supports them with and confirm as a service animal their dog should be with them at all times and shouldn't be left in the property alone . 

Thank you.   The guest left the animal alone multiple times during the day.  This answers my question.

Hi @Diana2792 

Lots of great advice from other Hosts. I would just add that you must accept ESAs in NY and CA in the US. The other states (currently) do not require you to accept ESAs. You should state something in your House Rules about not accepting ESAs if your listing is not in NY & CA.

Service Animal - Have a Quick Reply

We have a Quick Reply prepared if a guest states they are bringing a service animal. BTW, they don't have to notify you they are bringing one...they can just show up with one and claim it is a service animal. Whether they notify us ahead of time, or just show up with a "Service Animal", we send the Quick Reply which outlines Airbnb's policies for Service Animals and asks them to respond and confirm they will abide by Airbnb's policies for Guests regarding Service Animals. Key points in Airbnb's policies state the service animal may not be left alone at the listing, must be under the owner's control at all times outside (on leash or voice control) and must be housebroken. We use "friendly" language in the Quick Reply about how we understand how important Service Animals are and abide by all Airbnb's guidelines for Service Animals. However, we make it clear what is expected on the Guest's part (according to Airbnb's guidelines). If they guest does not abide by Airbnb's policies (that they have agreed to after receiving the Quick Reply), Airbnb says you can request they remove the "service animal", but must still allow the Guest to stay without the animal if they want. At this point, it's a mess (and guaranteed negative review), so do all you can to head off an issue by weeding out "fake" service animals if possible ahead of time. 

I suggest reading through Airbnb's policies regarding Service Animals and use caution. Complaints of discrimination to Airbnb from a guest usually results in Listing suspension while they "investigate." Never refer to a service animal as a "pet" in any verbal or written communication. Legitimate service animals are well-behaved and usually don't cause an issue. Unfortunately, guests have learned they can most times get around a no-pets policy, or pet fee, by just claiming their family pet is a "service animal."

Service Animals & ESAs

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Diana2792 

I am n ot a lawyer so not legal advice.  If the Guest is showing consideration by telling you.  You could just politely say you are concerned about pet hair clean  up.  Would they please n ot allow on furniture and beds.  A vacuum is at the listing would you mind just vacuuming any hair on rugs.  I don't know if the Federal Law allows you to demand but just politely asking you might get a polite agreement.

They can't say yes if you don't ask the question.