Important thing to be aware of before using Airbnb professional photo service

Answered!
Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

Important thing to be aware of before using Airbnb professional photo service

Recently, me and my partner decided to use professional photo service from Airbnb since we thought quality photos may attract more guests. On the appointment day, a young local photographer showed up and took photos. Few days later, he uploaded processed photos to the listings by himself. That wasn't issue at all, as he had already mentioned that during photo shootout and we trusted him to produce quality photos.  However, we were disappointed with all photos. Although framing is alright, colours are all over-processed and don't even look realistic anymore (like those HDR photos you see on web). When we asked for original photos (so that we could adjust to our liking), he refused and said AIrbnb doesn't allow him to do that. I find that rule ridiculous and totally unfair. We have already paid for the photos and we should get to keep the orginals. With this rule, we can't even make small framing/color adjustments. We are at the mercy of a photographer who will process as per his taste which may not agree to ours. It was a waste of over $100.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yasmin264 

Yasmin, if the photos look to good to be true.....they probably are.

I recommend you stay away from listings that use professional photography. Its not just that the photography makes the area look twice the size in is in reality....... like this one.....  

asset-1429743931668 b.png

It's the additional 'props' that are introduced for the 'fashion shoot' that disappear as soon as the photos have been taken.

I recently included this picture on another post here, but it graphically illustrates what I am talking about. This was the subject of a refund claim against Airbnb. The guest thought he was getting what was illustrated in the top photo.....he took and submitted to Airbnb the reality of the bottom picture to show how he felt he was deceived!

kitchen_reality (1).png

Unfortunately Yasmin professional photography is going to show up on any platform....not just Airbnb. Hosts want to make their property look as good as possible but, as soon as you see glitzy, almost fisheye, light N airy photos, move on to another listing with photos that look just that little bit less than perfect!

Cheers........Rob 

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51

@Sarah977 

Then she phoned the next day to say she really wasn't pleased with how a bunch of the shots turned out- seems her flash was acting up. So she asked to schedule another shoot. That's a professional.

No Sarah, thats a real estate office assistant. Thats what they do in this modern age, they send a person with a camera, she wasn't a professional.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  It's so interesting how you profess to know things that you couldn't possibly know. The woman who came to photograph has her own professional photography business and contracts to the real estate office- she wasn't a "real estate office assistant". And I said she was a professional because she herself wasn't pleased with how the photos turned out and asked to come retake them. As opposed to the Airbnb photographers some people report who seemingly don't bother to check over their photos to make sure they are good before submitting them.

@Sarah977 

Hi Sarah,

She's not professional because a professional doesn't need to do the job twice because a flash didn't work and anybody shooting a house in only an hour wouldn't be producing a professional job. If you were happy with the photos - good. Well done professional photographer. You could just show the photos and let us judge?

The photographers Airbnb send fulfill requirements provided by Airbnb. Those requirements preclude using any photographic lighting and they expect to be able to colour correct 5600°K (blueish) daylight mixed with 3400°K tungsten (orangish) light with high contrast window and shadow scenes and get a natural result. Instead - cartoons result. Unless you use a high-end retoucher you get low end results. Sometimes with lots of one type of light it will work out, but high contrast situations in mixed light generally won't. 

@Kyi1 Was complaining about results with colour casts looking cartoonish, they can be adjusted and toned down, but not using the images posted on the listing. The original (multiple) files per image are needed. If the images can't be remastered to satisfaction the photographer will need to come back. This photographer wouldn't be able to complain his flash didn't work though as he was told not use one!

Airbnb are taking payment for the photographs (upfront) and instructing the photographers what to do (and not do), if it doesn't work out they are the ones to fix things. There are possibly many happy hosts with great photos out there and we only hear about the unhappy ones, but instructing not to use flash is an instruction to disaster. 

Nick707
Level 2
Carmel, IN

I decided not to use a professional photographer for my first listing. Soley because I did not really have to much money to spend and figured I could update them later on. Plus, my iphone camera is really good. I just slapped on a few filters and think they turned out okay. 

Here's a video on how I maintain my perfect five star rating in regards to cleanliness.

https://youtu.be/4qspmHN62K8

I have gone from "I love Airbnb experiences" to the opposite. Unrealistic Airbnb photos are disappointing me as guest time and time again... I may make a point soon and not use this platform for a couple of years and spend my money in hotels or other independent rentals that take their properties and advertising seriously. I feel scammed! I have felt scammed the las 4 Airbnb trips I made as the pictures did not look like the reality and everything was over-staged (the flats a total mess when you come). One was a horrible and traumatic experience in Holland Park, London (Airbnb gave me $50 back - seriously!?)  and I am done with that. My mantra = "Do not fall for this flat, if its airbinbin its NOT going to be good". 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yasmin264 

Yasmin, if the photos look to good to be true.....they probably are.

I recommend you stay away from listings that use professional photography. Its not just that the photography makes the area look twice the size in is in reality....... like this one.....  

asset-1429743931668 b.png

It's the additional 'props' that are introduced for the 'fashion shoot' that disappear as soon as the photos have been taken.

I recently included this picture on another post here, but it graphically illustrates what I am talking about. This was the subject of a refund claim against Airbnb. The guest thought he was getting what was illustrated in the top photo.....he took and submitted to Airbnb the reality of the bottom picture to show how he felt he was deceived!

kitchen_reality (1).png

Unfortunately Yasmin professional photography is going to show up on any platform....not just Airbnb. Hosts want to make their property look as good as possible but, as soon as you see glitzy, almost fisheye, light N airy photos, move on to another listing with photos that look just that little bit less than perfect!

Cheers........Rob 

An honest true normal picture is always helpful. 

Infact the guest should feel your listing looks better than the photos.