Instant booking for blocked dates

Instant booking for blocked dates

I blocked out the entire year of 2024 due to possible property tax increases for short term rentals.  Today, I received an instant booking for 3 nights.  Because I canceled, Airbnb said they would take $50 from my next payment.  I contacted support.  They admitted that the system may have glitches.  I verified every other night in the year was blocked.  But they said they will still fine me $50 (my only cancellation in over 5 years as a host).  I’m done with Airbnb.  Why would I be punished for their buggy system?  I am now Unlisted & will not return due to their policy.

4 Replies 4
Heinz181
Level 2
Hesse, Germany

You should try to insist with the Airbnb administration. My experience is that the Helpdesk is stuffed with unexperienced and with very experienced people who really help in the long run. Cheers Heinz

@Sherilee-and-Doug0 did you snooze your listing or just block the dates in your calendar? I believe Airbnb has this option which allows hosts to cancel up to three reservations in a year without incurring the standard cancellation penalties. This feature is typically available to experienced hosts who meet certain criteria set by Airbnb.  You have to check with Airbnb support about this, get more info and what criteria you need to meet for this option. Hope this helps! 

Snoozing was only allowed for a couple of months so I opted to block out the entire year.  What’s most disturbing is that a booking was accepted for blocked dates.  And then a penalty was accessed for an error due to the software bug.  We contacted support & no attempt to resolve the issue was made.  As a result, we will no longer list on the platform.  We’ve had stellar reviews,  not a single cancellation made by us in over 5 years & super hosts over the entire time.  We feel like that meant nothing to Airbnb.

Robin1258
Level 1
Lancaster, PA

I just had a guest instant-book our space for Thanksgiving - which we had blocked for our extended family. 

not pleased!!!!!!