Just getting started and want to learn about expectations

Elizabeth3572
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

Just getting started and want to learn about expectations

Hi all 👋

I'm new to AirBNB and I'm hoping to connect with someone to learn about the best way to engage with our guests. How can I set the proper house rules without being too pushy. What kind of rules should I set and what am I not thinking of.

Liz

5 Replies 5
Julie5882
Level 4
Tiverton, RI

Hi Elizabeth!

What a beautiful property! When it comes to house rules I recommend you work within your comfort level. This is your investment so "pushy" doesn't need to be a concern when it comes to protecting it. If you prefer shoes taken off, say so...etc.

Consider any special considerations for your location that should be noted. If wildlife is a concern around outdoor garbage, I would mention that. 

Some descriptions that maybe I missed in your listing:

I would comment on the bunk beds and queen bed sharing an open loft. That would be a consideration for families and they may not realize the layout.

Do guests have access to the basement? If so, photos please. If not, note that.

Best of luck to you!

Julie S. Jenkins

Thank you so much for the advice and for helping with information I didn't even think of. 

Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Elizabeth3572 ,

very nice chalet! Just a little suggestion: I noticed that there are some duplicate photos, it would be better to delete them 😉

Andrea

https://airbnb.com/h/la-casa-sul-canale-con-piscina-jacuzzi-in-giardino

Bryan934
Level 2
St Ives, United Kingdom

Hi

i keep the rules basic on airbnb

when I send my guests messages before they arrive I have quick messages set to go with things like don’t walk around with dirty shoes, take the key out of the door.

then when they arrive I try and meet my guests and have a chat with them. 
pointing out anything I think they may need to know

you may get the odd pushy guest, 

I had one asking if he could use my hose to wash his car after 1 day, I said there are plenty of car washes on the area 

I felt it was a bit of a cheek, plus even though I’ve labelled all the rooms they still helped themselves to extra bed linen without asking from the airing cupboard 

i just had to be firm and reiterated that if they need anything just ask, not to snoop and help themselves 

Hi @Elizabeth3572 ,

Agree with comments thus far - beautiful listing too.

Here's some comments:

- if you have any permit or regulations in your area you can include. In our area we have strict parking, occupancy and noise regulation, so this info is important for us to highlight and ensure our guests don't engage in activities that would cause us to lose our short-term-rental permit.

-we re-iterate NO SMOKING and that it applies to our entire premises. Despite this we still get folks smoking on our property, so it isn't fool proof. 

- if you have neighbors that may be disturbed in some way, like someone who's dog poops in an area that is your neighbors but maybe isn't readily obvious, or leaves exterior lights blazing all night that might disturb a neighbor, you can/should mention best behaviour.

- if you haven't already, go through lots of listings (ones in your geography/your competition but also ones that match your general aesthetic elsewhere) and see what is mentioned. It can be helpful to get your mind thinking. 

- I also use the "house rules" and 'notes' area to re-iterate some general stuff that is relevant, just to try and make sure I reach folks. For example, winter driving may require AWD/4WD,  we have window AC units (not central AC). I want to be as transparent as possible to avoid any hard feelings or dashed expectations.

Wishing you much success!