Kitchenette option in Host Amenities

Answered!
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Kitchenette option in Host Amenities

Not sure if this has already been covered.

Very exciting to see that Kitchenette has been include for the amenities section!

However in typical Airbnb fashion, when clicking on it, there seems to be a bug. Its interlocked to the Kitchen amenity, so if you check either one, Kitchen or Kitchenette, on or off they both will turn on or off, and only display "Kitchen" or not in the listing that guest see.

Still don't see Kitchenette. 

Hoping this is just a bug and soon host will have the option for Kitchenette instead of Kitchen. I list mine in 4 places that there is no oven, but guest still ask if they can use an oven. 

So to be clear as of now if you check on Kitchenette and off Kitchen, they both will turn off. Refresh page and they are both either on or off.  

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 10.50.32 AM.png

And Kitchenette doesn't show up yet in the listing no matter what combo is checked on or off. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.07.37 AM.png

1 Best Answer
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Gillian166 @Jenny @Beth80 @Debra300 

Probably know this but wanted to get back with on this. There is a way to include "Kitchenette" !! 

Go to Settings, Listing, Property and Rooms. There you can add designate areas and rooms, that will organize photos in each room that its assigned. 

The photos will then be displayed in order, and can choose "Kitchenette" here. 

Its weird because I had done this years ago but wasn't showing this room by room format, but when I added a moved a few around it created the rooms and photos for each one so started working.  

I also used text to overlay the kitchenette as on a phone it might not show each room tour. I've always had the photo with the kitchenette but sometime people will just not realize there is no oven. 

I think this will finally fix the handful of guest who didn't notice it was a kitchenette. 

Hope that helps! 

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.55.47 AM.png

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@John5097  this is interesting. Just yesterday we had a guest ask where the kitchen was....

That listing used to included the house kitchen but in August we installed a kitchenette. I'm positive I turned off the "kitchen" amenity, but when I went in yesterday to check, Kitchen was ON. I don't have a pic of the kitchen in the listing, nor do I mention it anywhere in the listing. It was very weird.  So I ticked kitchenette and assumed it was my error. 

But having just checked it again today, the kitchenette option has been turned OFF.  !!

You are correct, if you change it, and refresh, it changes. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

So in the meantime i'm adding a note about this in my listing, I don't need guests marking me down over this. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 12.41.57 pm.png

@Gillian166 Good idea. Glad someone else is at least seeing this option. Hopefully the start of a roll out. Not sure what has taken so long. This is something some guest miss. 

I mention there is no oven in 4 different places, clear pictures, captions, but still get guest who expect an oven. 

I'm constantly updating and adjusting my listing that really seems to help. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@John5097@Gillian166,

I also noticed that about the kitchenette/kitchen amenity, but can only hope that guests will believe what their eyes see in the kitchenette photos, and not think that it's just a seed that will sprout into a full kitchen after they turn on the faucet.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@John5097  What constitutes a kitchen? Or, what's the difference between a kitchen and a kitchenette?  So I don't have a stove; but I have an electric skillet, a rice cooker, an air fried and special pots for cooking in the microwave.  When asked if I can cook a meal in this space the answer is yes. I checked kitchenette  and I advertise that way ( better to under sell) but now I'm curious.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Beth80,

To me these are the best definition of the differences between a kitchen and kitchenette.

A kitchen is a room equipped for preparing and cooking food. It has cabinets, counters, and full-sized appliances. Most kitchens will have a stove/oven, sink, dishwasher, microwave, and refrigerator. Also, kitchens represent our unique styles because there are many options for customization.  

Kitchenettes, also called mini kitchens, do not feature generous workspace and standard appliances. Instead, they have items like a small fridge, hot plate, microwave, and sink. Also, a kitchenette is not as well organized as a kitchen, because there isn’t the space for extra storage as in a kitchen. Further, unlike the design styles of many home kitchens, kitchenettes focus on achieving the best use of space rather than style.  

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Debra300 Thanks. That help a lot. 😊

@Beth80 Each host will have to decide if its a kitchen or kitchenette.  Mine doesn't have an oven but has fridge, counters, cabinets, microwave. Vast majority of guest are fine with this set up and prefer more budget friendly rates and cleaning fees. This is also the set up that vast majority of one bedroom apartments and guest suits use in my area. 

As mentioned if you turn on or off either Kitchen or Kitchenette they both will turn on or off the Kitchen amenity in the list of amenities that guest will see. As it is now the Kitchenette option doesn't show up in the list of amenities. This would really help host who would like to give a more accurate listing for guest, but maybe Airbnb wants to try and force every listing to offer a full kitchen even when its illegal. My city doesn't allow an oven in Airbnbs and the fire marshal inspects the place each year. 

I also prefer offering a more budget friendly rates and fees and have it set up where its less stressful for me to manage. I also could allow more people and pets, and charge more as well but prefer solo travelers or couples who want to eat out mostly, yet still have option to prepear some meals with microwave and fridge, and vast majority of my guest prefer this. 

So really hoping that the Kitchenette becomes a featured and functional amenities option. 

In fact this may be a good time for me to try listing on some other platforms. This may seem minor but host should be able to choose the kind of listing and amenities that fit their area, and option for Kitchenette would so helpful! 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

So just checked and again I've found "kitchenette" to be turned off, this is preferable to having "kitchen" showing ✔️ I guess. 

@Jenny  is it possible to have this glitch sent through to tech support? cheers.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

No problem @Gillian166 - I've done that just now!  I'll let you know if I get anything back from the team.

Thanks @John5097 for raising the issue!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  just bumping this because it's quite serious. I already had one guest mark us down over lack of a full kitchen, and today another guest left me a private note about the mini fridge. Clearly she didn't read the listing or look at the photos, but left me 4* review *sigh* 

I checked my listing and "kitchen" was again selected! I've now written 2 notes about this glitch, but I'm unconvinced that will do much, and if a guest marks me down I assume there is zero chance of me having the review removed, even though the glitch is airbnb's fault, and not looking at photos is the guest's fault, but I will wear the inappropriate review! 

I am turning both Kitchen and Kitchenette OFF until this is resolved. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

And so now I've been marked down by a guest who gave me 4* for accuracy AND 4* overall, UGH! and in her review she mentions  "not so good if you want to cook meals, as there's only a minimal kitchenette"  yes, as described in the listing and photos!!   I am quite annoyed by this now. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Gillian166 @Jenny @Beth80 @Debra300 

Probably know this but wanted to get back with on this. There is a way to include "Kitchenette" !! 

Go to Settings, Listing, Property and Rooms. There you can add designate areas and rooms, that will organize photos in each room that its assigned. 

The photos will then be displayed in order, and can choose "Kitchenette" here. 

Its weird because I had done this years ago but wasn't showing this room by room format, but when I added a moved a few around it created the rooms and photos for each one so started working.  

I also used text to overlay the kitchenette as on a phone it might not show each room tour. I've always had the photo with the kitchenette but sometime people will just not realize there is no oven. 

I think this will finally fix the handful of guest who didn't notice it was a kitchenette. 

Hope that helps! 

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.55.47 AM.png

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@John5097,

Thanks for the ping.  My studio listings currently have a room titled Kitchenette,

Debra300_0-1669426840525.png

with a photo under the room category,

Debra300_1-1669426878317.png

but the Amenities section on the listing description shows Kitchen as not included.

Debra300_2-1669427065609.png

BTW, I agree with @Gillian166 in that I can see how some non-reading guests may be confused that your space doesn't have a full kitchen due to the size of the refrigerator and dishwasher.  We offer portable induction cooktops, but I can understand if you don't want to encourage your guests to cook inside of your rental since it looks like there are upper cabinets or the microwave above all of the countertops (benchtops for Gillian), and cooking under them could lead to damage.