Legal Release of Liability

Answered!
Nina1463
Level 1
Maitland, FL

Legal Release of Liability

My property is on a cliff with 100 foot drop. It is in Georgia, and I had an attorney write up a release to have renters sign. I do have the cliff in the listing with cautions. It is awkward to send and ask people to print and sign the release. Do I need the extra coverage? I do have property insurance and got extra liability insurance and the $1M from Airbnb, and I put the property in a LLC.
I would love to know what anyone knows or thinks about the release. 

Thanks!!

1 Best Answer

@Nina1463 

This is important, and I'm glad you are paying attention to it.

A couple questions...is it fenced? Is the fence to safety code? On whose property is the fence, the cliff? How about signage (appropriate or not, what it might say?) Have you consulted your insurance agent and attorney for an opinion? You've said that you had an attorney write up a release - what else did you learn from them about potential liability and due diligence? These professionals who should know the ins and outs, in your state, would be the best source of factual, reliable information, imho. 

Best of luck, and the best protection for yourself and your guests. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Nina1463 

This is important, and I'm glad you are paying attention to it.

A couple questions...is it fenced? Is the fence to safety code? On whose property is the fence, the cliff? How about signage (appropriate or not, what it might say?) Have you consulted your insurance agent and attorney for an opinion? You've said that you had an attorney write up a release - what else did you learn from them about potential liability and due diligence? These professionals who should know the ins and outs, in your state, would be the best source of factual, reliable information, imho. 

Best of luck, and the best protection for yourself and your guests. 

Hi and thanks for answering. No, it is not currently fenced and I don't really want to put in a fence as it would be across the view. Considered a stacked low wall to delineate the edge, 3 feet in. 
I did consult insurance and got extra coverage and the lawyer did think this was a good idea. I imagine I will get comfortable asking for the form. It is a bit tricky as I have been pasting it as a message. 

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

Hi @Nina1463 

Wow, your place is exactly the kind of place we'd stay in! Spectacular. 

My comments are not specifically about the release but about reducing liability. 

Six people would be very crowded in your space, and the more people you allow the greater chance of a party/alcohol/tipsy people wandering around. Stick to 4 max. Sofa bed/air mattresses- I wouldn't go there.

Also, is there a way to show a photo of the actual edge ? (maybe that's impossible) How far is the house set back?

Cheers

Yes, 6 is really too much. It's best for a couple. The porch with a railing is probably 6 foot from the edge. The back yard area which is not yet finished is about 20 feet from the edge.