Length of first-time suspension?

Answered!
Kathy1277
Level 2
Cobb, CA

Length of first-time suspension?

Thank you Mike and JaneO for your response!

Now asking community how long their first-time suspension lasted.

I entered room to shut off space heater that was left on - I guess this was a bad bad thing!

Anyway, I need to know if I need to get a job! 😊

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathy1277 

Hi Kathy, I think you know where you went wrong here. Once you give a paying guest your key the space becomes theirs and you don't have an automatic right to enter it, unless invited to by the guest, or by prior arrangement with the guest.

You leave yourself open to all sorts of issues if you do!

The guest can accuse you of theft of their property, or damage to it. Not all guests are as pure as the driven snow and will invent scenarios to take advantage of an indiscretion.

Guests are going to leave heaters running, and on occasions they will shift furniture, tables, chairs around.....these are just things we have to put up with in hosting.

And if the guest complains that their privacy was invaded Airbnb will in many instances side with them and suspend your account as @Mike-And-Jane0 has said. 

If this is the first time a guest has lodged a complaint about you it would be general for you to receive a formal warning and it would be left at that. If there has been more than one guest complaint a suspension may be applied and, depending on the severity of the complaint, a 14 day suspension would be the most likely penalty. You will still be expected to honour current bookings but, your listing will be unavailable for new bookings for the period of the suspension.

I know, might sound a bit harsh Kathy and maybe not justified but, that's hosting, every day we learn something and it hopefully makes better hosts out of us.

All the best Kathy.

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kathy1277 Keeping the facts straight is important. You previously are on record as saying ' I entered space after hearing furniture moving in the night'.

There is no standard timescale for the Trust and Safety team. A week or two minimum seems normal.

Thank you Mike and JaneO!

Yes I noticed my inconsistency. I was pretty upset in the first moments of this ordeal. I actually only entered the space when I heard the space heater going which was later on the second day they were here. 

I know not to enter the guest space and would not have only over the furniture moving. But I was concerned about that as well.

This was my first problem guest - in four years!  I do see I could have handled it better.

I really appreciate your input.

Kind regards,

Kathy

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathy1277 

Hi Kathy, I think you know where you went wrong here. Once you give a paying guest your key the space becomes theirs and you don't have an automatic right to enter it, unless invited to by the guest, or by prior arrangement with the guest.

You leave yourself open to all sorts of issues if you do!

The guest can accuse you of theft of their property, or damage to it. Not all guests are as pure as the driven snow and will invent scenarios to take advantage of an indiscretion.

Guests are going to leave heaters running, and on occasions they will shift furniture, tables, chairs around.....these are just things we have to put up with in hosting.

And if the guest complains that their privacy was invaded Airbnb will in many instances side with them and suspend your account as @Mike-And-Jane0 has said. 

If this is the first time a guest has lodged a complaint about you it would be general for you to receive a formal warning and it would be left at that. If there has been more than one guest complaint a suspension may be applied and, depending on the severity of the complaint, a 14 day suspension would be the most likely penalty. You will still be expected to honour current bookings but, your listing will be unavailable for new bookings for the period of the suspension.

I know, might sound a bit harsh Kathy and maybe not justified but, that's hosting, every day we learn something and it hopefully makes better hosts out of us.

All the best Kathy.

Cheers........Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your input! I’ve been having a melt down.

In the four years I’ve been hosting I’ve never had guests move furniture, bring an extra person, or block the street with their car. I live in fire country, so most guests are very conscientious and not only turn the heater off, but unplug it.

This guest was that guest from hell I’ve heard about. And I blew it. I’ll do better next time. 😊

14 days. To my knowledge this was my first complaint.

Well, it is what it is.

Thanks again. This discussion board ROCKS!

Cheers back at you,

K

Max1814
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Hey Kathy, just filed arbitration with Airbnb. That's really the only way to get them  to reverse any of their egregious actions. I made a pretty long post on here as well. Airbnb pretty much just wiped away a business I've devoted my life to for the last 5 years. They've done it to a lot of others too and they can't keep being emboldened to do this. If you're looking for some legal help, we have some others who joining in. Shoot me a mssage at help at airbnb hypen violations dot comm.