Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Answered!
Rose2552
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Hi community!!

I am so excited to have listed my cabin on Airbnb and have had two wonderful experiences and two bookings that have caused concern (extra guests, overusing amenities, not cleaning up dishes etc.). I'd love it if I could get some feedback on where to tighten up my listing to try and prevent the breaking of house rules. Looking forward to whatever feedback I receive.

With smiles, Rose

🌟Listing link: Cabin in Woodgate · ★New · Studio · 1 bed · 1 bath

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 12.07.41 PM.png

[Content modified by OCM]

1 Best Answer
Carolina2186
Level 2
Manasquan, NJ

Dear Rose,

lovely and exciting listing!
Some guests will not follow rules regardless of how hard the host works to create transparency and a good experience.

from my end this is what I have done on my listing to help me with the concerns you listed. 
- minimum age is 25 

- add a  fee for anybody after your maximum number of guest.
- list house rules on various locations (welcome email, checkin message, behind main door and refrigerator door)

- after somebody books, send them a message confirming, no parties, those listed will be the only ones at the property at all times..)  

- don’t leave all amenities out. Leave only what you think is reasonable for them to use and all other amenities place them on a locked closet. 

Unfortunately I get few guests that are cleared on the rules but want to pretend they don’t know them to proceed with what they want to do. On my end, guests want to rent my house during weeding to stay and also host parties for their families. When I have to confront them they act as if they didn’t know and that they will follow rules but as soon as review time comes, they will retaliate against the host and property. When this happens some of the Airbnb customers service members do not take the time to help you to review the retaliation matters so who ends up hurting is your listing. 
Guests are provided with all information to decide if they want to stay at a listing. Some may complain as retaliation for not letting them use the property for parties and others will complain to see if you send them money back. Hosts need the support from Airbnb to be able to stand up to guests that do not want to follow the rules without fear of retaliation. 

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39

Thanks, Paula!! I am over the moon with all the constructive suggestions I am getting to improve my little cabin. It is wonderful to know that there is a supportive community out there who want us all to be successful. I wasn't expecting that so Yay! for community!! With sniles, Rose

Hello Rose 

Your listing looks very nice. As for your concerns with some of your previous guests I can understand your frustration as this is your first listing and its your baby. I was there once and had the same feelings  towards guests. Well let me say this you have to let it go. Biggest thing to remember is you are in the hospitality business now. I see so many hosts worrying about little things and wanting to charge guests for every little thing they did wrong. You can't be that way. Don't sweat the small things not all guests will do things to your liking. Remember you are always covered by aircover if something goes wrong. Now as for the listing and some things that might help you. 

1 All photos should be horizontal and not vertical as Airbnb algothrim favors those. 

2 Your first 5 photos should always be your best and your first photo should be your hero photo

3 Rewrite all your descriptions in second person. 

4. Make sure you go section by section in the listing editor and toggle all the slide bars on that you can or select not part of your listing. 

5 If a writing section gives you 2000 Characters try to use all the characters it allows you for each section. 

6 It looks like your calendar has good bookings. Maybe increase your price some and see if you are  still getting bookings. Also your prices should be different for everyday of the week and weekends. Your price should be the highest far future and then you can adjust as your lead time gets closer. You should be working your calendar everyday and adjust based on trends and lead time. 

7 As for more than two guests I think the best way forward is to message your guest when they book and start a conversation with them. We get bookings for 1 guest sometimes and there is almost always going to be more than one so we just ask them in a message. Most guests will be honest when asked. 

Hope this helps. I could give you a bunch of things I have learned over the years I just don't want to overwhelm you at first. However I'm always here if you have a question. 

Shawn 

Hi Shawn,

Spot on! When I was alerted to the fact that there were extra people on my property (remote area/nosey neighbors thankfully, Lol), I immediately turned on my security cameras (I put them to sleep during daylight hours as a courtesy to my guests). I immediately let my guest know that they were exceeding the 2 guest maximum and that my security cameras were on. (And, thankfully I did turn them on because this guest went with her entourage for dinner and left the fire in the fire pit burning.)

Well, needless to say, my Labor Day Weekend was spent glued to the camera feed as I watched this guest violate virtually all my house rules - and that was only what I could see outside the cabin because obviously I don't have cameras inside.

When I got to the cabin for check out, I was relieved that the damage was minimal and after talking to the Fire Chief, know how to create a safer fire pit area and also how to make it easier for 911 responders to find my cabin.

All's well that ends well and the learning from this experience is invaluable. I realized that I need to let go of my personal attachment to the cabin and definitely not sweat the small stuff. It will become my mantra.

As far as your suggestions for my listing, I will definitely make those changes. I did not know about horizontal vs. vertical pictures and will definitely change my descriptions to second person. 

I have raised my price but won't know how that affects anything until Spring 2025 because I am a 3 season cabin and will close for the winter. I only had one weekend left when I raised my price to $145 a night and someone booked it so we'll see.

Thank you for your time and thoughtful feedback!!

With smiles, 

Rose

Most of the comments posted are right on point.  As long as you are representing this "studio" properly, you should not have any issues with ABB.  But the Rules that you are concerned about must be clearly stated BEFORE any conversation or reservations are made.  

It has been my experience that if you can prove to ABB that a violation has occurred, they will cancel the reservation and the guest must then leave (and that gives you something to go to the local authorities with).

A few things, it is a studio with only 1 bed, clearly additional guests are not authorized to stay,

however,

a. if others happen to arrive to enjoy the firepit, play games etc. you shouldn't have any objections?

b. as a pet-free property, be prepared to have guests bring Emotional Support Animals - instead of arguing, add a pet fee of $150 and that will offset the extra (ensure guests know that they have to pick up poop).  

c.  Install a Ring Doorbell and Camera and combine it with a Schlage Encode lock - they all work together on your phone.  This will allow you to monitor the number of people who arrive - more than 2 - access is not granted.  The "encode" system will also allow you to allow access by a door code for a specific date range ... if the Rules are broken and ABB cancels their reservation, access may be withdrawn.  Codes can be set per guest (we use the last four of the responsible party - from 4pm date of arrival to 11am date of departure.)

d.  Cameras should only be for security, not peeping... but you can certainly monitor that a fire in the firepit has been put out (not causing a forest fire); at the front door to monitor # of guests; at the drive to monitor the # of vehicles - 1 or 2 guests do not arrive in 3 or 4 vehicles; etc.  Cameras will also alert you when guests leave if you're not comfortable.

e.  An online guide (I use Touchstay.com) is a great way to share the rules of the property, the amenities, the neighborhood, and so much more.  It also offers timely emails with additional info as the guests get closer to their stay.

g.  Having a 3-night min will also reduce "party" guests.  

Though the vast majority of guests will be respectful and have a positive experience, there will be some who will push your buttons.  Remember, this is your business and you get to set the rules.  But remember, you can't stress out about the small stuff.  There is a cost of doing business and you get to decide if the cost is worth it. 

We have sometimes had to decide to refund a guest, instead of regretting them.

Best wishes and enjoy the experience....

Hi Boris and Jorgette!!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You have definitely given me a few new things to think about. I agree that the vast majority of guests will respect the house rules...I'm 3 for 4 with that.

My husband and I need to agree to not sweat the small stuff because to your point, it is the cost of doing business. We need to disconnect the emotional attachment we have to the cabin and we will get there!! Lol.

A 3-night minimum might be a great idea. I learned quickly that one night stays aren't going to work for me so I changed to a 2-night minimum and except for the two guests who booked one night before the change, most of my guests are staying for 3 nights. Thank you for encouraging that change.

So much to learn! I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me!!

With smiles,
Rose

Carol45
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Hi Rose,

Your listing looks great! I'm not clear on overusing amenities, perhaps limit the availability/offer smaller amounts? If you're referring to shampoos etc... I tend not to sweat the small stuff, if it's about electricity or gas, I show in my listing that if guest goes over the average usage, there is an additional charge. Same for not washing dishes etc..., I state that if any cleaning beyond what the cleaning fee covers, there will be an additional charge. Do you provide a reminder for cleaning dishes, emptying garbage etc... in their check out letter? Many folks don't look very closely at "house rules" which is why I send a separate letter (even though Airbnb sends check out info 5 days before). For extra guests, I'm sure you already list the price for additional guests, but if they are not divulged, and I discover this (external video doorbell), I tell my guests that extra guests mean more cleaning, so I add to their cleaning fee. I tend to be fairly flexible on this rule but I may be in the minority. I find that the more I make the guest feel valued and welcome, the more respect they show through following house rules. Hope this helps, and good luck! Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my critique request. I know I have to let go of the small stuff and not sweat it. One guest went through half a bottle of body wash but the main amenity that was troubling with my last guest was helping themselves to wood for the firepit. They burned through 1/8 of a cord of wood.

I provide a complimentary night of firewood to enjoy by the firepit but they are the second guests to help themselves to the wood in the grill area where we are using wood storage bins as a way to create privacy. I mention that the wood is not for guest use in my rules but as someone who enjoys sitting around the firepit with a glass of wine, I am sure they must see the wood in the grilling area and feel like a kid in a candy store. My only thought is to tastefully put up a sign on each firewood storage bin and say not for guest use.

I'm hesitant to add an extra guest fee because I don't want to encourage extra guests but I guess if I make an extra guest fee more than the nightly fee, that could be a deterrent?

I agree with you 100% on creating a feeling for my guests. My goal is for my guests to feel welcome and cared for. My messages are personal while conveying the ins and outs of staying at my Cabin. Hopefully, as I continue tweaking, it will get easier. I didn't realize the learning curve would happen so quickly and be so steep...I thought I was going to  ease into hosting but fortunately/unfortunately, my place booked pretty quickly after going live.

Thank you again for your time and thoughtful feedback. It definitely warms my heart to know there is a caring community of hosts out there willing to help a newbie like me.

Well wishes and smiles,

Rose

Ben6150
Level 2
Rye, Australia

Hi Rose, 

I have one property where we charge a set rate for 6 then they pay extra per person to 10 pax. Initially this was an issue with unaccounted for guests so we added this automated message which has largely resolved the issue:

"Hi XXXXX
We can’t wait to host you in a few days time. There is loads of information coming this week that should answer all of your questions and make the check-in process seamless.
We have priced the property very reasonably and we made the choice to price it to groups of 6 guests with the option to pay a little extra for additional guests @ $50 per night. In doing so it makes it much more attainable for smaller groups to also experience this beautiful property without paying for the full 10 guests.
Unfortunately, some groups try and take advantage of this pricing strategy and exceed the agreed number of guests which is very disappointing. We are very happy to accommodate groups of up to 10 as long as they are processed correctly through Airbnb PRIOR to the stay commencing @ $50 pp per night. If we find that unapproved guests do in fact stay, in line with the House Rule / Special Conditions in the listing of which you have agreed, we reserve the right to evict you immediately OR the guest (you) will be charged $100 per person per night at the end of your stay. As stated in the listing, we have active CCTV covering the entry and some of the outdoor areas for the safety of both parties. 
We genuinely want guests to have an enjoyable, peaceful and memorable visit with us. Whilst these rules may sound quite heavy, it is based on years of experience (and sadly disappointment) but is necessary to protect ourselves from any issues and satisfy council and insurance requirements.
Thank you for your understanding. If you need to add guests then you can simply add them by submitting an “Alteration Request” through the app.
Regards,
Ben"

Other things to consider:

- Build a rapport with your guest before they arrive with loads of messages. Guests that respect the host are more likely to follow the house rules, leave the house clean and leave a great review. I demonstrated this to a couple of owners and they were blown away by the results -  no more mess and dirty dishes left in the sink.

- Over-communicate  - Answer all their questions before they ask them (see example below). 

- Love-Up the messages  - "So thrilled....... honoured ..... have a lovely stay....." - these all help to build a rapport. 

- Pre-Trip planning - I get their email address and send them the guest book prior so they have lots of info to plan a great trip - I get so many great reviews about this. 

ALL these things help get the results you are after and more valuable than leaving out a bottle of wine and chips (I never do that and still rated 4.98 stars) - the value is in the peace-of-mind and certainty for the guest. 

- I got rid of cheap accommodation to focus on bespoke and creative - best thing I ever did and way better clientele with a better returns and occupancy. I have a 1 bedroom studio "Romantic Getaway" by the beach booked 6 days per week every week. Make your space stylish and desirable and they will come. 

"Hi XXXX, 

I have included the answers to the most common questions you want answered before your stay .....

1. Property Address:
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

2. Wi-Fi Password:
Wi-Fi Name : WiFi-XXXXX
Wi-Fi Password : XXXXX
Sending you the Wifi password so you can just cut and paste to your device and more easily share with other guests.

3. Check-In Time 3:00 pm
Check-Out Time 10:00 am

4. Linen - we provide all sheets and towels for inside the house, but please bring your own beach towels for the beach/pool/spa.

5. Nearest Coffee
Blairgowrie shops is where we often go on a normal weekend, but when it is busy like a long weekend, you can wait 30-40 for a coffee.
There are some great local haunts though where you won't have to queue:
- Penni Ave Distillery does coffee till 11am - Vodka after dark!
- No.16 Beach General Store - local organic produce too
- Peninsula Pantry - great home made pies, pastries, sweets
- Koonya General Store & St Paul's General Store - Sorrento
- Store 360 in St Andrews Shops on Dundas St
- Hunter Cafe in St Andrews has vegan offerings and great coffee
- Rye Sourdough Operates out of a little house nearby at 3 Forbes St Rye and has fresh sourdough Wed-Sun.

Check-In instructions will come through on the morning of your stay at 8am with everything you need to know to get access.

If you have any other questions, please just yell out.

Can't wait to host you at our beautiful home.

Safe travels.
Ben"

I hope that helps. 

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for your supportive feedback. I appreciate your thoughtfulness to take the time to share what you do. I want to come stay at your place, Lol. If only Australia was closer. 😀💕

I have very similar communications with my guests but I love that you tell them to expect "loads of information coming this week." I am taking that line!! I've created a schedule of messages from booking to check-in to build excitement because like you, I "genuinely want guests to have an enjoyable, peaceful, and memorable visit."

And, while my cabin isn't quite bespoke and creative as yet, that is my goal. I was testing the water for the Fall Season to pinpoint a demographic and determine whether it makes business sense to upgrade the finishes/aesthetic/luxury feel. On a shoestring budget, I wanted to create something unique to other listings in my corner of the Adirondack Mountains (beyond paneled walls and buffalo plaid mountain decor), and as I tweaked my pricing from my initial promotion, I am chuffed to be booked beyond my expectations so I feel it is reaching the demographic I am pitching to: a couple's retreat.

I am gobsmacked by the amount of support I have received from the Host Community to my inquiry. And, I am over the moon to receive your feedback which seems aligned with my goals: I want my cabin to 'moreish' so couples come back year after year to reconnect and recharge. 

Thanks again for your advice. I've taken it all to heart and will be fine-tuning my messaging/communication with guests. And, I've had a bit of fun trying to use Australian lingo...I am addicted to Australian TV. In particular, MasterChef Australia, and The Block. Lol. 

WIth smiles,
Rose

Annie5
Level 2
Evanston, IL

Hi @Rose2552 

First off, your cabin looks amazing and I love that area! Congratulations on setting this up and know that you'll get this into a comfortable flow in no time. 

Do you live near the cabin? Do you happen to meet your guests in person?

If not,  I would make it extra clear that the cabin is only for two people (and possibly a pet). You could even mention that there are nearby neighbors or you'd be dropping off firewood, anything to create an environment that you are aware of the happenings of the cabin. You could also outline that 2 guests max (no exceptions) at the beginning of the description so people looking at your listing get this immediately.

For overusing amenities - you may want to reconsider how much you offer your guests and whether it's worth providing shampoo, etc for their stay. Most guests bring this with them. You could also ask this in your conversation with them before check in. This way, you also save the day if you end up providing extra amenities instead of having it taken for granted and possibly overused. I would also consider not showcasing the spices in your photographs unless that's a real central part of your guest's stay. If you think cooking is central, most people won't want to buy the basics for just a few days. Maybe consider what IS available for use and clearly outline that for the cooks.

Leaving the cabin dirty is why you have a deposit. I would state that upfront. You expect that your guests follow the checkout procedure or you'll request a post clean fee to cover this (and that goes through Airbnb portal so it's tracked. I've been hosting for 9 years and I've only experienced this one time. Please don't be discouraged -- this is an anomaly. Most guests are fabulous. I would set the age requirement to over 25 to attract a more mature guest. That may help.

Keep up the great work!

Annie