What are some of the house rules you use

[Title updated by OCM to make it relevant to the post]

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Marie-Kalvin0 ,

Did you happen to add any new house rules for your guests since you posted?

I hope Mike & Fred's suggestions below have helped you!

You can also search our Community Center using the search bar and typing the key word ''house rules''. You can also click below to search for it.

Bhumika_0-1687986454021.png

Previously many of our members had shared about their top 3 most crucial House Rules , you might also want to explore that thread to see what other Hosts think of it!

Do keep us posted on the newest additions!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Marie-Kalvin0 You can either write the War and Peace equivalent of house rules or just a small number of sensible ones. I suggest you search for similar listings to yours in the locality and see what others feel are needed.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is a case by case thing @Marie-Kalvin0  depending on the place & the host's style. As a general rule, the less you ask of the guest, the better, so lessens conflict. Of course, is cool for you to have expectations as in the care of your place from the guest and spelling them out in the shortest and friendliest of manner.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Marie-Kalvin0 ,

Did you happen to add any new house rules for your guests since you posted?

I hope Mike & Fred's suggestions below have helped you!

You can also search our Community Center using the search bar and typing the key word ''house rules''. You can also click below to search for it.

Bhumika_0-1687986454021.png

Previously many of our members had shared about their top 3 most crucial House Rules , you might also want to explore that thread to see what other Hosts think of it!

Do keep us posted on the newest additions!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

start with the basics, take a look at your competitors rules, and tweak them as needed. 

You will find every time someone does something stupid, you have to create a new rule. we have crazy rules because bisbee is a party town. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, something crazy unexpected happens and I have to create n new rule.

My most recent rule is you can’t invite local friends and family over to do their laundry. Yes it happened and the sewage pipe got clogged, and sewage backed up in the tub, the guest didn’t tell me, my 70 year old mom was doing the cleaning that day and she found the mess, we too were in vacation and 6 hours away.

While some hosts suggest making rules funny like “do not run a laundromat during your stay”, I find it’s just best to be straightforward and firm in my delivery. Someone could interpret “well technically we weren’t running a laundromat because we didn’t charge them”. They always find a loophole. Every time they find a loophole, now I have to dumb things down again lol! 

Fabian946
Level 2
Merrick, NY

Recently- After many years of hosting- I do believe that even if you have it in the House rules- NO EVENTS or PARTIES.  You have to enforce no visitors allowed, your Guest Max- pertains to the number of guests allowed during the stay.