Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Listing discrepancies - host

Murray105
Level 2
Tai Tapu, New Zealand

Listing discrepancies - host

So we've been hosting on Airbnb for several years... Superhost, Guest Favourite etc, all has gone well, but we now have several problems with our listing(s). 

1. When you search our local area by name or on the map (and I'm doing it in a private window so it doesn't know I'm the host) our listings are not shown

2. On the (seemingly random) occasions that you can see any of our listings on the map, only 1 of our 3 listings comes up (our place is available as a whole, or two parts can be booked separately, so we run three linked listings). 

3. The pricing on the summary page that shows all local listings, and the pricing when you click through is different by a significant amount, which will be putting people off clicking through.

I'm so frustrated. We have nothing but good reviews, I'm honestly thinking about ditching Airbnb. I'd like a specific response from Airbnb to this, but good luck getting hold of anyone, I guess.  

3 Replies 3
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Murray105 😊

Thank you for bringing up this topic!

I’ll mention a few experienced hosts to see if they have any advice about this:

@Joan2709@Guy991@Joelle43@Anton7298 , @Marie8425 and @Dr-Jayanthi1.

Thank you in advance everyone! 

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Murray105 

I could only find 1 listing your right,  Pricing was okay for me.  I couldn't see anything wrong with the listing.  My only thought is you mention all 3 are linked.  Most hosts discussing linked calendars mention two listings linked.  I didn't even know you could link 3 maybe just a guess try unlinking 1 calendar and see if that fixes it,

@Murray105 

Luv your listings! 

@Elisa tagged me on your post and noticed a few things that are possibly contributing to a lack of visibility for your listings; especially the East & West Wing. We refer to mulitple listings for the same property as "Parent" and "Child" listings:

Multiple Listings - Same Address

Here is the issue when you have multiple listings with the same address. Airbnb will "stack" the property bubbles on top of each other as they have the same physical location (slightly off-set). This makes it difficult to see all 3 listings. I was able to see all 3 listings, but had to zoom way in on the map view to do that. Most guests will not know to do that. 

Joan2709_0-1729193156050.png

Joan2709_1-1729193361845.png

Parent Listing vs 2 Child Listings

Looks like you started with the "parent" main listing that sleeps up to 7 people and have enough reviews to appear higher in search results. However, your 2 child listings (East/West) wings have reviews from 2022 & 2023? One only has 5 reviews and the other only 1 review. Airbnb will see those 2 listings as "not popular" and will show listings from outside your area ahead of them as they have more reviews and the AI sees them as "more popular." When creating multiple listings for the same property, I always advise Hosts to launch listings in the busy season. This helps you take advantage of the "New" status Airbnb gives for the first 4-6wks and gives you the best chance to get bookings and reviews. Generally, new listings should be discounted 20% from your competition to attract those important 3-5 bookings. This is because your listings are pushed higher in search results while still considered "New" by Airbnb. Unfortunately, you no longer have the new status on the child listings making it difficult to be seen in search results. You could try pointing out the other 2 listings more on your parent listing and/or listing on another platform or direct booking site. 

Additional Guest Fees

Additional guest fees are a big turn-off for guests. Your additional guest fees of $30 are probably hurting you; espectially on the East & West Wings. Price those based on your competition for the number of guests you list and eliminate the addl guest fee. For the main listing, I probably would eliminate the addl guest fee altogether and price it for 7 guests. You could raise your cleaning fee to off-set. Perhaps you could also maybe only add the fee after the 5th guest. $30 is a bit steep for addl guest fees.I would lower it to $20-$25 (if you keep it) as this is more standard.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

You listings don't have a carbon monoxide detector and Airbnb states its not needed as appliances are not fueled by gas, oil, kerosene or wood. However, you mention a wood log burner in your description and photos? Carbon monoxide detectors are very inexpensive. I would get some for the 3 listings just so Airbnb will remove the strikethrough on carbon monoxide detector. There have been some widely reported deaths related to carbon monoxide poisoning in Airbnbs. Also, anything on your listing that has a strike-through should be avoided.

Joan2709_2-1729194502026.pngJoan2709_3-1729194531358.png

Where You'll Sleep Section & Number of Beds

If you go to your bedroom/bed photos, there is a new option to add sleeping arrangements (type of bed and number of beds). I would do that so pictures of the beds will appear in the "Where You'll Sleep" Section. Right now this section is only showing icons for the beds instead of the actual photos of the beds. The East Wing appears to have the wrong number of beds? It shows 2 beds but appears you have 3 beds?

Joan2709_4-1729194820809.png

Pricing 

Similar to @Marie8425 's comment, I didn't see any discrepancies with the way the pricing is shown in search results. Remember, if you add the number of guests to the search filter, the price shown will change, as you have the addl guest fees on all 3 listings.