Listing feedback/ listing critique

can you please give us a feedback about our listing and house rules. This property is on a lake and I am afraid of liability because of course we can not gate the lake access. Any help is welcome. Thanks, p

8 Replies 8
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Ann44732 

Definitely a public safety concern. You are wise to address this. What does your business insurance cover in the way of public liability? Do please keep this community in the loop. This may be more common than we know, with lakes, ponds and streams being ungated.

thanks. Our policy covers liability for up 300k but may not be enough.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ann44732, welcome to the Airbnb Community Center!

Our experienced Hosts, Kitty and Creek, have shared their comments. Have you had the chance to read them? Are you considering discussing this with your business insurance?

I am also reaching out to more experienced Hosts to see if they would like to share their opinions: @Alicia753@Mary1523@Shelley159@Cheri354@Karen114 and  @Guy991.

Best regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thanks Paula! Do insurance companies usually charge more for short rentals (airbnb) compared to longterm rentals?

does airbnb insurance covers any liability (injury/disability/medical expenses) for guests?

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

Hi @Ann44732  What a lovely spot.  When I first came upon your listing to see the pics I thought oh that must be in Maine so lovely.  Then I noticed you are in Shrewsbury.  I live in Bolton, we are basically nieghbors 😊

The properties are beautiful and I understand your concern for liability.  I would certainly have an attorney draw up a rental agreement/waivers  if you don't already have one.  It's fine to mention in the listing however you need to have something very granular that the guest actually signs off on.  

Also to think about is winter guests- Will the road be passable? What about plowing etc. 

You mention not trying to light the pellet stove in your listing.  I would put something in place so they absolutely can't use it.  Guests will cut down trees and try to put that in the stove unfortunately. 

Lovely space and I wish you luck with it. 

Karen

Thanks Karen for your feedback!

Hi - amazing place, so much potential I immediately thought! I assume it was the Lake House, not "island" listing?

We don't have properties like this in Australia really, so I probably don't have much to say around water access etc, but I can make a few observations about the inside.

1. Some photos are very esoteric/weird. I didn't see the point and as a guest, doesn't help me figure out what I'm getting. Like of walls, furniture etc. I get that they are featuring some interesting decor/features so make them part of a larger photo, not the subject of the photo itself. I think you need more photos of the spaces offered itself. If you don't want to pay for a professional photographer, then airbnb has some good tips on how to take photos and of what. Always start with photos of full rooms, 12 photos of lounge room is too many. Can't you get a good couple of photos from different angles that are more comprehensive. Also Was there an outdoor area by the way or deck? Also photos of how the guests enter? Wheres the photos of the campfire area, docks , carports etc? Does the boat come with the property? Saw it in the photo. If your photos don't accurately reflect the space, it will be harder to get bookings and when guests rate you, they have to rate based upon photo accuracy.

2. Cover photo - i think i would go with one that shows the house from the lake, you can edit/chop out neighburing properties. The first 5 photos in order are also important because thats what shows on the screen, so maps/aerial views are not what guests want to see first, they want to see what's on offer. 

3. Bedrooms, why not put a futon or so against the window in bedroom 4? why a floor mattress? that's not comfortable. And comfort above all is else is highly rated, other hosts have told me that

Bedroom 3, why not more beds, not a sofa bed? It's a beautiful large space and those window views are gorgeous. Maybe a daybed against the window to sit and read a book? Bedroom 2 is clearly a kids room - so amp that up. Make it a selling point. Decorate it with a kid in mind. That bunk bed is soo cool. I assume all the vintage toys are ok to be played with. You don't care if they break?

4. Who is your target market? I want to read who this is suited for? Families? Friends on vacation? Working holiday? I would mention that in your opening paragraph. No need to mention its short term rental suitable unless thats something specific to the region?

5. Finally, the vibe! To stand out from competitors, what's your differentiator? The house has some vintage style/historical looking furniture, is this representative of the region? Normal for a lake cottage? A few more descriptors in your listing would help, as its not new luxury per say. eg A lovely lake cottage decorated in vintage with all modern conveniences etc etc  Does your property have a name? And this is just a personal thing, but I don't like bare walls. Saw quite a few, made it feel quite stark. You do have some interesting wall art, don't feature it though, just make it part of the bigger room shot. 

6. a property on acreage as an airbnb does require lots of maintenance work as guests expect everything in tip top shape, mowed, trees cutback, docks maintained etc.

BTW, did you provide firewood? That wasn't clear

Finally enjoy being an airbnb host - you've got a great property. A few tweaks will make it more welcoming!

Hope this helps!

Kind regs

MAry

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for you professional, honest, and constructive feedback. We will follow your suggestions. We are just starting it and when we have more money we will invest more on it.