Long term rental, am I covered?

Garrett120
Level 2
Nevada City, CA

Long term rental, am I covered?

I was interested in renting my place long term and need to understand the rules a little better and if I will be covered if the tenant does not leave. for example if they book for 3 months after 30 days they are considered by law as a tenant ( in California) and have squatter rights. my question is, if they stay beyond 30 days but stop paying and refuse to leave will Airbnb insurance continue to pay my nightly or monthly rate until the problem is resolved. what actions will Airbnb take in helping to remove the tenant?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Garrett120 No you will not be covered in any way. Airbnb will not take any action to remove the tenant other than cancelling the reservation.

Thank you for your reply, have you had any experience with this? And my main question is if the Airbnb insurance will cover the lose in rent. For example if they book three months and only pay for one will Airbnb pay the remaining two months.  I just got off the phone with Airbnb supervisor that insured me they will but I do not trust them. Also asked him to send me something in writing and he had nothing to send, laughable  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Garrett120 

Airbnb does not have home insurance they have a limited Guarantee. Have a look on the Airbnb Help website and you can see the areas they cover. 

You can also have a look at your home insurance for short term lets and see if  squatting are covered in terms of your liability but I very much doubt it.

Much better not to put your property and STR business at risk of squatters only accept bookings that don't put you at risk of squatters. Or if you want to take longer term do long term bookings create a tenancy and do appropriate credit checks, tenancy checks etc.

@Garrett120 

Before you get into this any farther, please bone up on California real estate law. Do please find a credible source for legal information. California law favors the tenant, and any long term guest situation could potentially get unpleasantly sticky for you. If you wish to rent long term to anyone, in California, may I suggest you get a legitimate rental contract with them, and  not plan to rely on any platform.