Military discount

How can I offer a military discount?>

5 Replies 5
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Damon102 ,

Forgive me if I'm incorrect but...

I believe asking for proof of military ID may be the only way to confirm that a person is actually a member of any branch of the military, however I don't think it's legal to ask for it to be photographed/sent over the internet. 

Perhaps the Guest could present his/her ID to the Host at check-in, but I don't think you're allowed to scan or photograph the ID card. 

How would you be able to confirm if the card is legitimate?

You may want to contact a military base near you for current regulations.

Good idea though, keep us posted.

I had to send proof to an airline over a twitter message link on the internet for refund on a canceled flight, So I don't think it's illegal. But, you're correct, how would we know to offer discounts for service members. When I opened my listings up at a discount for refugees, airbnb booked my listings with NON refugees at the discounted rate, I did cancel the bookings, but I became reluctant to offer any group discount after that bc the bookers on airbnb side might just find it a free for all at booking my place for cheep for everyone. If you find out. LMK

Update. I just searched online and found this:

"Question: Is it OK to send a picture of my military ID?

Answer: Federal law prohibits the unauthorized copying of a military ID.
If a member is unsure what is authorized or what constitutes a DoD benefit, they should seek guidance and advice from their local legal office. If a member is unsure what is authorized or what constitutes a DoD benefit, they should seek guidance and advice from their local legal office."

That means we can't copy it 

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

and this...

"Can I send someone a photo of my ID?
Never send anyone a picture of your ID. Hackers and cybercriminals can access cloud photo databases to steal your ID.Dec 6, 2022"