My site being translated

Answered!
Kim2482
Level 2
Marigny-le-Cahouët, France

My site being translated

I sent a link of my site to a friend in France, and it was automatically translated into French - which is great - but with some glaring errors.  The description did not make any sense due to the literal translation.  Is there anything I can do about this?  Thanks. 

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello or should I say bonjour?! @Kim2482 and @Bhumika 

Yes there is an easy way round this problem in that you can enter your title, description, literally the whole of your listing in two languages.  It just takes time but at least you are sure that it is your translation that will appear and not an automated translation when French guests are looking at your listing from airbnb.fr

For example, the first part to translate is your title - there is a pop down window that allows you to choose another language by pressing the "Edit" button.  

Capture d’écran 2023-03-21 à 08.44.16.png

You do this for all of the headings on your listing and you will have a translation that truly reflects the feel of your place because it is you that did it and no-one knows your place better than yourself!

I am presuming that you are bi-lingual😉

So for example if you go on airbnb.fr or airbnb.co.uk for my listing, the version you see is the one I translated not Google's.

Hope this helps,

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Kim2482 ,

Reaching out to @Joelle43, if she has any tips or advice for you regarding this!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello or should I say bonjour?! @Kim2482 and @Bhumika 

Yes there is an easy way round this problem in that you can enter your title, description, literally the whole of your listing in two languages.  It just takes time but at least you are sure that it is your translation that will appear and not an automated translation when French guests are looking at your listing from airbnb.fr

For example, the first part to translate is your title - there is a pop down window that allows you to choose another language by pressing the "Edit" button.  

Capture d’écran 2023-03-21 à 08.44.16.png

You do this for all of the headings on your listing and you will have a translation that truly reflects the feel of your place because it is you that did it and no-one knows your place better than yourself!

I am presuming that you are bi-lingual😉

So for example if you go on airbnb.fr or airbnb.co.uk for my listing, the version you see is the one I translated not Google's.

Hope this helps,

All the best

Joëlle

Kim2482
Level 2

Thanks you very much for this Joelle43. That’s really helpful!  Kim

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kim2482 I am reminded that 'accurate' translations aren't always a good idea.

When operating in a country who took their business meetings very seriously but who also were very respectful the translator translated as follows:

Ms X is now telling a joke

This is normal in her culture

That was the punchline and it is now appropriate that you laugh

Kim2482
Level 2

😂Exactly. I don’t actually want my site translated- I was amazed that it did automatically.