New "Categories" issue

Answered!
Paul2029
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

New "Categories" issue

If I understand it correctly, the new "Categories" created automatically for every listing also selects the cover photo for the listing so, no matter which image the host chooses on his/her site as the "main" one that should show up on guest searches, another may replace it based on AI algorithms (I assume). 

In our case, we selected an image of the bedroom we host in our home which makes sense since that is the room that is "rented" however the image that Airbnb's AI categories algorithm selected is one we have of our shared Livingroom!

The categories listed for our room are "iconic cities" and "rooms", which is fine however we feel that taking away our ability to decide for ourselves which image will be the "cover" photo for the room removes our "marketing" choices and decisions.

Anyone else have an issue with this? Thoughts?

We have no problem with the new Categories implementation other than the fact that it dictates what will be the primary photo displayed for guest searches.

Top Answer
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Hi @Paul2029 , you can get around the obstacle by deleting the image that is put as cover, then you associate the right image and re-upload the deleted image.. it worked for me 😉

View Top Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Hi @Paul2029 , you can get around the obstacle by deleting the image that is put as cover, then you associate the right image and re-upload the deleted image.. it worked for me 😉

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Andrea6232 Thank you so much for helping @Paul2029 ‌😃‌!

@Paul2029 Please keep us posted on how it goes and if you need any further help.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Perfect. Andrea's suggestion worked. 

I am having the same issue. Listed in 5 categories and the image they pick as lead is not appropriate. Spent 30 minutes in Airbnb chat, they said it is an image they pick that is most appropriate for the category. Why would I want a picnic table in a field shown?? (farm category) Why would I want the side of a shed shown? (Cabin category) Why would I want the living room as a Winery image? 

Frustrating! 

I have deleted the images used before and within a week, it picks another one!

Sherri308
Level 1
Summersville, WV

I am having the same issue. Listed in 5 categories and the image they pick as lead is not appropriate. Spent 30 minutes in Airbnb chat, they said it is an image they pick that is most appropriate for the category. Why would I want a picnic table in a field shown?? (farm category) Why would I want the side of a shed shown? (Cabin category) Why would I want the living room as a Winery image? 

Frustrating! 

I have deleted the images used before and within a week, it picks another one!