New security camera policy is unreasonable

Tatyana94
Level 2
Oceanside, CA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

From my understanding, we are renting out our house, the place we call home. It's important to clarify that this is not a hotel. As long as all cameras are clearly outlined in the house description, it's ultimately up to guests to decide whether to rent this place or not. We've encountered numerous situations where guests have disregarded house rules, so having cameras helps monitor these situations. It's worth noting that these are motion-activated cameras, and we don't actively monitor them all the time. 

For the third consecutive year, we've been renting out our house and have encountered significant favoritism towards guests from Airbnb. We often feel overlooked or restricted by many Airbnb policies that seem to prioritize guests' needs exclusively. It's becoming apparent that guests are becoming increasingly accustomed to being indulged. 

While we don't have any cameras inside the house itself,  we do need to keep one in the garage. Would this still be considered indoor surveillance? We have personal belongings and our car stored there, so it's essential for us to monitor at least that area for security purposes. Would this still be considered indoor surveillance and should we remove the camera from our garage?  

6 Replies 6
Erica1502
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I have written into Airbnb and ask the same question. I need to monitor the entrance as people sneak in pets. Plus all the house supplies are in the garage, locked, but need to be monitored. 
Awaiting a reply from Airbnb. 

Please keep me updated if you will receive the response. Thank you Erica!

I asked for clarification regarding Airbnb's policy for a camera in the garage, and I got conflicting responses. One agent said a garage is outdoors and the other said it is indoors.

Michelle4057
Level 2
Magill, Australia

Hi Tatyana

Completely agree with your statement regarding prioritising guests needs exclusively. Your question about cameras in the garage is relevant to our property as well. Our property is located 3 hours drive from where we live so security is a concern for that reason also. I look forward to the reply you receive from Airbnb. 
Michelle, Australia. 

Vincent62
Level 2
Livermore, CA

I too am concerned about the lack of clarification about whether cameras are permitted in the garage. I also really need to make sure animals don't get into the trash in the garage and that the trash is taken out, so I'm not sure what I would do if Airbnb decided that the garage counts as indoors.

Equally concerned.  We are 2800 miles away, and use our property to visit our college student.  So grateful to be able to host others as well, but feel it's more than appropriate to have cameras at just point of entries.  We have an outside one on the front porch, and a camera facing our door to our garage (it's before you enter the living space) at the top of the garage staircase.  It's the only way we can validate no excess guests or pet violations, as an outside camera would not allow any visibility to pets brought in with a car driving in, etc.  We have no cameras indoors, and these two are disclosed.  Hopeful the guidelines will be clarified, as this seems very reasonable.