Offering dental kits and slippers

Answered!
Deborah993
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Offering dental kits and slippers

I offer a budget hosting experience, with towels, soap, shower get and a buffer. One guess asked for dental kits and slippers are these now standard for all Airbnb host now? 

1 Best Answer

@Deborah993 

These things are totally not standard, but each host's preference; however, if guests ask for them, I pay attention. If one asks, likely others are too polite to do so. 

I always provide slippers, robes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, Q Tips, several types of makeup removers, shampoo, soap, body wash, conditioner, plenty of towels, plenty of toilet paper, tampons, pads, first aid kit, and other fun and necessary things. Under the sink are complete cleaning supplies, nearby a broom, dustpan, duster and vacuum cleaner. If they spill something, and want to clean up after themselves, it is all there. The kitchenette has enough things to keep them well equipped and not to go too hungry in a pinch. Guests know also that if they need anything at all and cannot find it, I am in residence 100% of the time that they are there. It is, after all, the hospitality business. Your region likely has customary things that others do not, and vice versa. 

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I always leave toothbrush, toothpaste, floss. Not everyone uses it so I leave it for the next guest. 

slippers- no. 

Hi Dawn 

Thank you for your response. 

I think with the way travel has changed and since people are not allowed to travel a great quantity of these things, it may now become necessary to provide the same. 

Many thanks 

@Deborah993 

These things are totally not standard, but each host's preference; however, if guests ask for them, I pay attention. If one asks, likely others are too polite to do so. 

I always provide slippers, robes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, Q Tips, several types of makeup removers, shampoo, soap, body wash, conditioner, plenty of towels, plenty of toilet paper, tampons, pads, first aid kit, and other fun and necessary things. Under the sink are complete cleaning supplies, nearby a broom, dustpan, duster and vacuum cleaner. If they spill something, and want to clean up after themselves, it is all there. The kitchenette has enough things to keep them well equipped and not to go too hungry in a pinch. Guests know also that if they need anything at all and cannot find it, I am in residence 100% of the time that they are there. It is, after all, the hospitality business. Your region likely has customary things that others do not, and vice versa. 

Hi Kitty 

Thank you for taking time to respond. I will certainly take note and provide a few more amenities, but will need to increase the price of my services. 

Are there certain suppliers you can recommend for dental kits, slippers and robes? 

Much appreciated 

Thanks 

@Deborah993 

Good question! I buy from the local the supermarket  that  sells groceries, household & sundries. These things are a very minor expense. Single use hotel slippers are the only item that I buy online if they are out of them at the local dollar variety store. Every hotel in Asia has them, simple slip-on foot coverings. I travel with them, and so do many of my guests, so the ones I provide a basket full of don't always get used. We are a no shoes house, so providing a basket of slippers at the door and in the guest space is appropriate here. Our hardwood floors don't appreciate street dirt and rocks and gravel that get caught in sneaker treads and hiking boots. Still, many guests bring their own slippers or house socks, as we request they do. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No they aren't standard, particularly if you have a budget listing.

I do have an emergency toothpaste and toothbrush kit for those who have forgotten theirs. 

@Deborah993 

Deborah993
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Thank you Helen3

I will certainly take note and hold some supplies. 

Many thanks 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

There is no need to provide dental kits and slippers. You are offering budget self-catering accommodation. People need to be self sufficient. What hosts below list is not the norm in the UK, even in a five star hotel.

Elaine917
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Deborah993 ,  I just started hosting recently and I progressively increased the amenities, following guests feedback. However, I think we need to manage guests expectations. For instance one of my late guests complained that there was no sink in the bathroom (you know in London some flats have shower room separated from the loo), no sports channel on TV and that i should provide some groceries. 

I do leave some coffee, biscuits, milk and juice for the guests that arrive late and like others above, plenty of loo roll, shampoo, conditioner, bath oil, small toothpast, plenty of hand wash and gel, dishwasher tablets,  and cleaning products. That didn't stop the family above from complaining about lack of laundry detergent.  

Hi @Elaine917 

It is annoying when these things happen, especially when you have made it clear in your list of amenities what you actually provide. They book without checking and come in demanding more. 

I guess that goes with the territory and it is easier to focus on what is missing that all that one has. 

The more you provide there will be a guest who complains about no having something. We must just keep doing our best. 

I run a budget service, which allows you to feel at home but I certainly do not provide food. Lol. 

A free coffee or a tea? Yes. 

@Elaine917 I found a supplier of dental kits and now provide the service as well as slippers, coffee and tea all at the same price. What more can I do?

@Deborah993 I bought a tumble dryer and fans for the summer.  They went down like a treat. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Deborah993 not at all Deborah, its not an airline, people can go to the shops ... H

Airlines no longer offer as much. 

You will be lucky if you get any food on a flight these days if it is not international.