Outer Banks NC search results (OBX)

Answered!

Outer Banks NC search results (OBX)

Someone in your firm really needs to give attention to what is happening when people search the Outer Banks NC or OBX as it is referred to nationally. I, along with many others are not showing up in search results and only show up when you search the map area icon and select "search this area". I have shown you many screen shots of other's friends' phones where we do not show up in initial results until you search the actual map. 

Evidently this is a problem on the OBX (Outer Banks). AIRBNB has been brought up in many local Facebook discussion pages about how you changed your platform last November and a lot of people are complaining. I talked to someone last night that hosts 12 different homes and she is having same problems. She has been contacting customer service every day and no results!  One person even said - don't go to through customer service any more and try to go directly to CEO. A lot of thinking about switching to VRBO. I am just letting you know what a lot of hosts are discussing in our area. I thought it was just me but it is not.

Maybe you should search your support tickets and select the number of OBX (Outer Banks) NC complaints about search results so that you can see how much of a problem this is in our area. Many are saying that when you search OBX - only Hatteras Island listings come up. Yes I have been told by 3 different reps. that my listing comes up. However when I ask a random friend to find us - they cannot and that is the problem.

Our zip code of 27949 services 3 different beach towns - Duck, Southern Shores and Kitty Hawk so we should at least be shown there but anyone searching the Outer Banks want to see listings for all of our towns which are Corolla, Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head. If they want Hatteras Island, there are 8 different towns on that island.  This is not just my problem. I have numerous people complaining that host many properties here. 

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dawn796 

At least your listing is in the search system, as your personal URL to the search system shows:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=386736214&map_toggle=true

It can be found by navigating the map  and zoom in on the desired area.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dawn796 

At least your listing is in the search system, as your personal URL to the search system shows:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=386736214&map_toggle=true

It can be found by navigating the map  and zoom in on the desired area.

True - you can find us by navigating the map but that is pretty much the only way. When someone searches the Outer Banks or OBX, you then have to go to the next step of navigating through the map.  As of now, only Hatteras Island listings are highlighted. I have heard of a lot of locals complaining about this with their  airbnb properties just this year.  Are you having a similar problem in your area?

I have no Reservations. Last year I was almost booked for the summer. I have sent this message to them 8 times now. They changed the search back in Oct/Nov. they go by what Google says so if you go on Google you will find somebody pinned Outer Banks down south is what 1 person told me.
* All we are asking is when guest put in Outer Banks, NC to find a place it will come up ALL OF OUTER BANKS, NC not just the Southern Towns Rodanthe to Ocracoke. Almost everyone of us that are on your Site are losing money due to this new search you have on your site. Please send to technical & do something about this.

Yes I talked to someone else in Kitty Hawk and she has 12 with the same issues, only 2 are getting booked. I think I will be trying VRBO instead. I don't think my complaints are being heard but I will send out another one. I don't know what else to do. I have talked to almost 10 different host in our area and they are saying the same.

I just did a search for “Outer Banks, NC” and it listed properties from north of Corolla all the way down to Hatteras, which is a much bigger than it was earlier this year when it didn’t even include Corolla, Duck, Kitty Hawk or KDH. So, it’s getting much better. 

8D7B7F70-B952-45F3-9CB1-8157A021C4ED.png

Thank you for letting me know! I stopped pursuing this issue as we were coming to the end of the season and I did get a few more bookings. Hopefully next year will be better!  Take care!

dawn@796 hello - I am not sure airbnb has corrected this issue- properties that are not located on Hatteras Island are not including in the search- Have you had a response to this issue? This really is causing a disruption to bookings.

Oops- I just saw your response and @Chris-And-Rachel3 - hopefully it will get better-October is usually a busy month for weddings. 

I gave up on Airbnb tech support as they kept telling me they could find my property and kind of ignored my whole argument. I know many other hosts had contacted them too with no help. I really don't know what to think. I bet if I searched again I would still have same issue.

we have the same problem that you do here in Wanchese. We have been hosting for 4 years and it is still hard to find our listing on airbnb. I know it is on there as we get bookings but when I try to find it I have difficulty locating it. It doesn't show up if I search OBX or Outer Banks so I am not sure how people find us..

Yes I have talked to many other airbnb hosts on the OBX and all dealing with same issues - the individual towns do not even pull up listings unless you click to expand the search and hover over a certain neighborhood. Most people are not going to do that and this is very frustrating.  I have been through many support tickets and finally told the employees to just show this to other people higher up in airbnb.