Pet fee

Answered!

Pet fee

Has anyone had guests who don't include their pet in the reservation? We have had several guests bring their dog and not pay the pet fee. 

Any suggestions how we should handle this when it happens?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mike-And-Jane0  have given you a great answer.  Because of the way that the initial entry box reads, many guests only enter the number of persons that will be staying.  If they see the checkbox for pets, they read that service animals are free, so voila, their pet is now free.

I do exactly what Mike and Jane have said to do.  My welcome letter reiterates that the booking is for X adults, Y children and Z animals.  Most responsible pet/animal owners will tell you that Fido is coming, so then they get a change request -- which they can accept or reject (and cancel).

When I do have a guest who neglects to inform me about their pet prior to arrival, I will send a Resolution Center request for the Pet Fee.  Some guests will own up and pay, others will ignore the request.  I have noted in my reviews of certain guests that they brought an unregistered pet (when they deny, don't pay, and the pet is NOT a service animal as it has been left in my property all alone for hours).  

NOTE:  I have hosted several service animals.  Their owners were VERY FORTHCOMING about their animal and their associated tasks.  Responsible owners are grateful for pet accommodations and will tell you more about their pet than they will about their children.  

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert-And-Ronda0 One thing you could consider is sending a 'thank you for your booking' email that specifies that there are X adults, Y children and Z animals. I use the word animal not pet. Then they will surely tell you if they are bringing a service animal although legally I don't think they have to in your country.

If they say 'oh and we are bringing Fido' you can then send them a change request correcting the number of pets.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mike-And-Jane0  have given you a great answer.  Because of the way that the initial entry box reads, many guests only enter the number of persons that will be staying.  If they see the checkbox for pets, they read that service animals are free, so voila, their pet is now free.

I do exactly what Mike and Jane have said to do.  My welcome letter reiterates that the booking is for X adults, Y children and Z animals.  Most responsible pet/animal owners will tell you that Fido is coming, so then they get a change request -- which they can accept or reject (and cancel).

When I do have a guest who neglects to inform me about their pet prior to arrival, I will send a Resolution Center request for the Pet Fee.  Some guests will own up and pay, others will ignore the request.  I have noted in my reviews of certain guests that they brought an unregistered pet (when they deny, don't pay, and the pet is NOT a service animal as it has been left in my property all alone for hours).  

NOTE:  I have hosted several service animals.  Their owners were VERY FORTHCOMING about their animal and their associated tasks.  Responsible owners are grateful for pet accommodations and will tell you more about their pet than they will about their children.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Tricky area, guest not including every living, breathing entity. I open the 'Other Details to Note' about the fact that accuracy on amount of guests ( + animals in your case) is important, because then you can plan better their stay. It has worked superbly thus far. Just a thought.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

Yup, so what I did was did away with the pet fee.  Problem solved.. to me if someone is paying north of 1k to to stay, it seems rather petty to charge $100-150 pet fee.  

Not to mention all pets are now service dogs or ESA.  Rather than sparring about that it's just easier.

Knock on wood, I have very little issues with allowing dogs.  I have 6 units and accept at 5. Yes there is some extra fur but the place is getting cleaned anyway. Most pet parents are very responsible and diligent.  I  leave a vacuum cleaner and mop in each unit for their use if need be.  

Karen