[Poll] What kind of property do you host?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Poll] What kind of property do you host?

Lake Tahoe.jpg

Hello everyone,

A lot of members here on the Community Center host from lovely homes. We have read some great comments about them in the past such as one from @Laura2592's, who turned an old stone schoolhouse into a lovely cottage and @Maureen-and-Jackie-0 who hosts from a townhouse!

We thought it would be great to get to know what kind of property you are hosting from!

For this week, we have added four options of property types. Please choose an option that fits your listing type the best, however, do not worry if your property type is not mentioned in the poll as we have more polls coming soon! 

It would be great if you could write a comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice as it would be very interesting to read. 

Having said all the above, perhaps you might even have a specific property type that you've dreamt of having! Feel free to share this below 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

23 Replies 23
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Our property on AirBnB is what people looking for accommodation in the mountains of NC call a "Cabin".  When it was built in 1930 it would have been classified as a "house" because it had other than log walls.  Nowadays a "cabin" is in the woods, is very small, and is rustic in appearance.   Cabin.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing this @Lorna170

-----

Aura4867
Level 7
San José, Costa Rica

Hi @Quincy  My favourite would be an Eco Farm in the mountains and near to the sea. 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy 

Here is where I started out......

18 b.jpg

We bought this property in June 2009. It was derelict, hadn't been lived in for 15 years. 

When Ade was diagnosed with MS in 1994 I let my share of our mechanical services company go and we spent our retirement.....we traveled....2 decades of it! Come 2009, we were almost broke!

This property came on the market for a bargain price....it was essentially block only value!

main-qimg-8c395f22af19b9babe97d73f143b01f4.png

Thinking I still had a few years of work left in me ....and nothing better to do, I got stuck into making something of this old lady again!

IMG20191104185555 2.jpg

About the time I got the main house where I wanted it, we stayed in an Airbnb listing in Sydney arranged by my daughter. I got to thinking, we had this run down garage in the rear yard......

101.jpg

Why not turn it around and make some money out of it.

Garage 2009.png

The roof had fallen in on one side of it......

Garage 2.png

It was seriously disgusting, I wouldn't keep an animal in there much less a guest! We had left it to the possums, rats and cockroaches!

P1010563.JPG

But I did have my vision so I set to work on it in 2015 and I turned it around.......

IMG20171224210039 b.jpg

DSCN2064 b.jpg

IMG20170308181344   01.jpg

IMG20180304202650 2.jpg

IMG20180212143721 B.jpg

We put a lot of work into that grass wasteland that was the rear garden.....

IMG20181117200329.jpg

I listed it and before we knew what was happening, it took off and I have been run off my feet ever since.

I don't know what makes people search for a property like this. As I have said previously it's just an old building in the back blocks of nowhere but, month after month they keep on coming, and I keep on enjoying having them. I keep on improving it all the time. Last year I repaved the pathways in the garden with old second hand Federation red bricks to get rid of the old cracked concrete.

IMG20201204191752.jpg

Each day I do something to improve it just that bit more.....it's eco friendly, we run almost entirely on solar power now having the capacity to generate up to 52 Kws of electricity per day during the summer. Our property has almost quadrupled in value over the past decade and I have my Airbnb vision to thank for that. I am sure the property would be nowhere near where it is today had it not been for my involvement with Airbnb!

Quincy, it has been a nice part of my life! 

Cheers.........Rob

Gorgeous @Robin4 

When we bought the duplex it was in such bad condition we couldn't get a bank loan. I love seeing what you did with your property. We've had ours for a while now, but I remember going into the attic and hearing animals running around. Turned out to be squirrels coming in through holes in the roof and soffits. The boiler was shot and so were the pipes in the wall from heat being off while the building sat vacant. My husband was not convinced but it's getting there. We worked on the second floor first which is what is seen in our profile.

We love our place but had to stop doing long term rentals because a good tenant is golden but a bad one can destroy years of work. Now it's where our daughter lives and we set up the second floor apartment for when my in-laws are in town. The rest of the time it's rented to Airbnb guests with the full approval of our neighbors (a requirement for licensing here).

We moved around the corner where our current house is twice the size and needs ten times the work. I should have my head examined but I love the challenge of trying to love it back to it's 110 year old glory.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such an amazing transformation @Robin4! Your home is lovely 😃

It's great to hear that your home is eco-friendly!🌱 When did you have the solar panels installed?

-----

Michele1348
Level 5
New York, NY

@Quincy -  I host a room and share space in my apartment. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing @Michele1348🙂

-----

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michele1348 @Christine615 @Robin4 @Aura4867 @Lorna170 @J-Renato0 @Jennifer1773 @Yocencia0 @Helen427 @Sarah977 @Pat271, I just wanted to let you know that the listing type 'Cottage' has ended up first in the poll results, therefore, we have reached out to @Laura2592 (who also has a cottage) and asked what her tips are for hosting from a cottage🏡.  

>7 Tips For Hosting From A Cottage<

-----