Renting an apartment located abroad

Mario2207
Level 2
Lausanne, Switzerland

Renting an apartment located abroad

Hi all!

I live in Switzerland and I would like to rent an apartment located in Vilnius, Lithuania.

Does anybody have experience in renting apartments located in a country different from the one where you reside?

Any suggestions, gotchas, warnings ? 

Many thanks !

Mario

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mario2207 If you have to ask a question like this I fear you are not suited to international travel. 

Dear @Mike-And-Jane0 , apologies, apparently my message wasn't clear. This is about renting out an apartment I own.

I am pretty sure the stamps on my passport say I am very well suited for international travels.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Did I miss something? I think @Mario2207 is just planning to visit (but who knows)

@Mike-And-Jane0 It was open to misunderstanding, but I assume that he wants to host. For the reason you stated- doesn't make sense for a guest to ask this.

Thank you @Sarah977  - apologies for the misunderstanding: my message is indeed about hosting. I would like to rent out an apartment I own.

@Sarah977  very relevant thread indeed, thanks a lot!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mario2207 Then you need to check tax arrangements between the two countries. Without the right treaties you risk being taxed twice