Replying to text messages

Answered!
Duncan---Janet0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Replying to text messages

Has anyone experienced my problem -  when I get text alerts re booking enquiries from people I cannot return messages on my mobile as I get ' unfortunately we could not process your response because your number is registered to many accounts'.

What? Why?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. (I don't think I have any weird settings on my phone). 

1 Best Answer
Aimee11
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

I think the initial text comes through via an Airbnb number. You and the guest can only see each others "real" numbers once you have confirmed the booking officially via the Airbnb app/website

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Carrie80
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Yes! I have the exact same problem. It worked for about six months then just stopped allowing me to reply and gave the same error. How to revolve? 

Heather-and-Rob0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I think the multiple accounts means the bookers/inquiries. I entered all the names and dates in my phone thinking that if people made requests or bookings at a later date I would be able to remember them and be more personal - as recommended. I just made a booking but the number shows up as someone who made an inquiry some time ago. Frustrating. 

I thought I was going crazy too! I swore I used to be able to text reply!  I send a reply to a guest that was checking in last night and they never got it because I just relpied to their text in messages rather than opening the app and going to messages etc.  I dont always have time to do that and there seems to be way more of a delay of loading their message too.  It says I can text the guest directly via SMS but those text incur charges for international texting from my phone company.  Also, there isnt an easy way to get their number from the body of the AirBnb instruction text to the To: in the new message without cutting and pasting.  All things I dont have time or sometimes the ability to do in the moment I get a question from a guest.  BRING BACK REPLY VIA TEXT!

I agree. Same problem. I'm traveling abroad for several months and can't afford to use up data to go on the app every time I want to reply to one of my guests because of enormous data-roaming fees. Not to mention I can only get on the app when directly near a wifi hotspot so is creating a giant lag time in my responses to my guests. I used to be able to reply via text right away, and this seemed to change sometime over the summer.  It is super frustrating to not be able to do this. Indeed, AIRBNB: PLEASE BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO REPLY TO GUESTS VIA TEXT.

I have the same problem.  It seems Airbnb is reluctant to let you out of their ecosystem for fear you will book outside of their system.

Yes this is very frustrating.  Can someone from AirBNB, if you see this, please respond?   I agree it did used to work, up until I rented about my 6th Air BNB.  If the only solution is to use e-mail to get the hosts or guest's mobile number, then please confirm that.  Thanks.

Jeanette14
Level 2
Carolina Beach, NC

This used to be a lovely feature in Airbnb in the US - I would receive the notification and part of the Inquiring Guest's message, or the Request to Book - and I could reply with the word ACCEPT or DECLINE, and it would puch that to the Airbnb platform - instantly accepting a reservaton Request to Book - or instantly sending my lengthy text reply to the person inquiring.  

I have ONE ACCOUNT, but several listings fo rthe different configurations.  

Now Airbnb sends me an auto-reply that Messaging is not supported (my carrier is Verizon and I use an iPhone 6).  It is not repated to Carrier Data or Roaming or WiFi access, as I have al those fully enabled all the time.  I have called and emailed and written Feedback to Airbnb about this "Lost Feature" that was so helpful.  It TRULY helps the successful hosts to be SUPER-RESPONSIVE to our potential guests.  Too bad this feature is now gone.....

It is bad and i hope they fix it. I hate to go to a different app to reply.

This is not acceptable !! It used to work and I dont understand why Airbnb changed this. It is very inconvenient to receive a message on one app and have to switch to a different app to reply.  Airbnb please fix this !!!!!

Ingmar4
Level 1
Nipomo, CA

Exact same problem mulitple times and no way to contact Airbnb, makes me want to go elsewhere.  

Michelle841
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

I noticed my automatic text backs, (the ones that seem fake to me have a link to click saying "abnb.me/ "with differing letters behind slash, but the real ones seem to have "airbnb.com/".   i.e. guests weve met vs people we never heard from or inquiries not showing up on our account but on phone.   I belive the fake links to be spam if you read link carefully before clicking.

Andy315
Level 2
Statesboro, GA

Airbnb used to be a five-star with me until I found out that I cannot quickly respond to my guests via text. I have been in the hospitality industry for over 40 years, quick response to guest’s needs are crucial in providing good customer service and building your business.  I have to work for my primary income and do not have access to go online while I am at work.  This means I cannot respond until after I get home which is after 6pm.  I have lost bookings because of this.  It also means Airbnb is losing commission fees as well.  What is even worse, Airbnb recognizes the importance of and promotes quick response to our guest; however, Airbnb is not available to give us support much less a “quick response” to our needs.  Apparently, the capability is there since many of you were able to communicate this way in the past.  If Airbnb does not address this issue soon, I’m afraid it will cost them in the long run.

Less than a week ago, there was a flash of Windows 7 is upgrading.  Now I;m not a savvy computer wiz so I'm not sure this would be the cause.

All I know is Airbnb better fix this for us.