Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

803 Replies 803

Could someone please look over this listing? It has no reviews and was just listed a month ago. I did do a reverse image search on a few photos with no results.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1028444975716691220?source_impression_id=p3_1705068306_3rXIWAvE0Abc53sb

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tips @Cynthia-and-Chris1 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hello @Lizzie  Lizzie! I've used Airbnb many times and all has always been okay -- but I'm about to book something for a long-term stay (6 months). I need to make sure the listing isn't too good to be true and there are no reviews yet. Is there an email address to send the link to, or would I put it here in public? Thank you!

go visit the place first and make sure it's real. I know someone that paid three months' rent upfront, and shipped their car only to find out someone had lifted photos of a real estate ad. The fake landlord sent a picture of a fake license even..

Is this a scam or just a good deal? No reviews yet.

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Matthew1856
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie, my friend has just booked this listing which seems too good to be true. Could someone give me an honest opinion?

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Thanks

Matt

I have also seen it listed for sale: **[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]