Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

803 Replies 803

Hey can someone look at this listing for me and tell me if it’s real?

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Had the same question! New to air bnb and wondering if this listing is for real? All it's reviews are from March and April 2023...Raimondo's profile seems like something out of Grey's Anatomy and hard to believe! Thoughts?

Does this listing seem legit?

Does this listing seem legit?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Lora408 

If you scroll down this listing, you'll see that the Host has a number of properties, and you can actually click a link to see their reviews.  That should give you more of an idea about their Hosting standards.

I did want to mention though, that I noticed that the Host asks for all reservation enquiries to be made through Whatsapp.  It sounds like the listing is advertised on more than one platform.  It's not professional to have things set up that way, and I would advise caution if you were to book using their process, as Airbnb actually prohibit booking off-platform.

There's more about the off-platform policy here - and for your own security we recommend you should only book and communicate via the Airbnb app.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Can someone opine on this?

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

is this a scam listing or a real one.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Vishak5 , I was having a look at it and the layout seems a bit different from the Airbnb official site with a different search extension. From where did you receive this listing link?

I would encourage you to always make sure you are booking any reservations through the official Airbnb website:  https://www.airbnb.ca and communicating with a Host through the Airbnb platform only.

-----

Lamara6
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hello,

Could you please take a look at this listing? It is much cheaper than other accommodation available for Amsterdam:

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Lamara6, Hope you are doing well! I had to remove the listing link as we do not allow posting such a link unless posted by the listing owner or the host themselves.

On a side note, when I clicked on the link, it didn't redirect me to a listing but showed this error. Are there any existing reviews of the listing? Our other host members always suggest checking out the reviews in case you feel doubtful about a listing.

Bhumika_0-1692125570816.png

-----

Hi there, can you please look into whether this is a real listing? There is no reviews. thanks! 

Hi there!

Can anyone let me know if this listing is real or a scam?  No reviews available. 

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Thanks!

@Albert2690 why do you think it is fake?