Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

807 Replies 807

@Albert2690 why do you think it is fake?

Hi Mike and Jane, thank you very much for your reply.  I noticed a few things, like there are only three pictures of the actual unit and two are the same picture, zoomed in.  There are no pictures of the view and no mention of the view, but building 8 is considered the best building at the Cliffs. 

Also, the description of the listing is very general and short.  It doesn’t mention any information about the actual unit, just a short description of the overall property.  I found two other listing that are almost identical but list different properties, yet have the same short and general description. 

I emailed the host and got no response.  I then emailed the same host via another listing, and she responded but didn’t mention this listing.  She said she only had one other property available. 

Does it seem legitimate to you? 

Thanks again for your reply.

Hello! My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon to Breckinridge, CO next October and we found this condo that fits all that we’re looking for, but there aren’t any reviews and seems too good to be true.

can someone help me out and see if it’s legit?

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Hey, do you think this is legit? 

I got suspicious because of 1 review but have been listing for years, and it's almost 50% cheaper than the others in the same area. 

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Hi,

We are booking a flat for next April - our favourite one is with a new user.

Please can you take a look **[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Thanks,

Holly

Hi, could you verify that this listing is legitimate?

@Mary6068 why do you think isn't? Its an Airbnb address and it has reviews. What more do you want?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Reynaldo46 , the link appears to be broken! 

Also, please note that it is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner due to privacy reasons and  as per our  Community Center Guidelines.

Did you happen to check out the tips many Hosts have shared in this thread? There is also a best answer where Host Cynthia shares some amazing tips to identify a suitable listing. Do give it a read!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi! I just booked this place for my friends and I and am weary given it is new and we appear to be one of the firsts to book. Any insight would be appreciated!

Hello. I'm renting a a airbnb in San Antonio this weekend and I found a new listing at a very reasonable price. Their not charging a cleaning fee. I don't know if it's a scam or not. Can someone help? Isn't there usually a cleaning fee?

during the winter season I don't charge cleaning in an attempt to reduce the cost and get more bookings. Just as long as I keep my base price over a certain amount at least we get something.  A asure you I'm very real 🙂 

what do you think about this one? 

You can’t. I am a home owner and My tenant is an Airbnb host currently and has multiple rentals on their site for booking. The host has my home listed right now as available. She has been evicted and no longer has access to the house. She never paid utilities and they were turned off. I tried to tell Airbnb what was going on and asked them to take down the listing for my house - so she couldn’t scam others like she did me! 

Airbnb would not even take the information!!  They said because I did not have an account they could not do anything. So buyer beware. Obviously Airbnb doesn’t care if they have fake listings. 

Hi @Robert7779,

I’m sorry to hear about this former tenant listing your property without your consent. I have flagged some community hosts and hopefully they will send your concern to the right team to address. @Bhumika@Paula@Rebecca  could you assist Robert with his issue please?  Thank you!