Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

807 Replies 807

It got removed! Def scam. 

Whats app for availability, no reviews, no service charge.

Was sent this by e mail in case anyone from air bnb wants to look.  

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Elspeth14  No one from Airbnb reads the posts here. This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests.

Good you didn't get scammed. 

@Lukas272 with 21 reviews why would it be fake. Just make sure you pay through Airbnb and all should be fine.

@James3073  Looks like a perfectly legitimate listing to me. Did you see that he has 7 listings and 17 reviews in total? It's a property with a bunch of separate cabins.

Why do you have doubts about it being a scam? 

It's a bit odd that he has no reviews since 2019, but maybe they were closed due to Covid or were renovating. 

There's a couple bad reviews, which you won't ever see on a scam listing.

You could send the host an inquiry message (using the Contact Host button in the listing ad) and ask why the last review is from 2019.

And as a new guest with no reviews, you might have a difficult time being accepted at any listing, as your profile is incomplete. Upload a real profile photo, fill out your bio, and upload verified ID. Most hosts are wary of accepting a new guest with no reviews who hasn't bothered to do any of that.

Guys, what do you think about this one? https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/586769377165891425?source_impression_id=p3_1647971849_FBwelRAFqub3M%2B8...

The place has just one single review and that review has been written buy a guy who also lives in Paris and has a listing in Paris.

The host has 100 reviews, all positive but dating back to 2017 mostly and I suppose not for the same apartment.

The place costs 1000 EUR for 6 nights in April. Does this price sound too good to be true for such a large apartment in Paris city centre?

I just a little worried about this Airbnb we just booked. It has no reviews , but it is a new listing and a new host 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/551433316502761160?check_in=2022-05-01&check_out=2022-05-06&guests=5&ad...

@Lauren3193  So why did you book it if you were worried about it? 

I don't understand why guests don't seem to realize that if they are leery about something, they should just send an Inquiry message to the host- you know, actually communicate to get a sense of the host and ask any questions.

I did message the host and they said they would absolutely love to have us. I just wanted someone else’s input to see if it was legit or not.

@Lauren3193  Well, it's usually not really possible to tell if an actual Airbnb listing is "legit" or not. Very few wouldn't be.

Most of the questions about legitimacy here refer to scam ads that guests found on other sites which claim that they will use Airbnb for the booking. But aside from all the false claims in the communications from those scammers, the URLs for the listings aren't Airbnb URLs.

If you got a timely, friendly reply from the host that didn't send up any red flags, that's normally a sign that all is fine. If your check-in date is a ways away, and you don't get more communication from the host in the interim, it's a good idea to check back in with the host a week before check-in just to make sure all is good for your arrival.

Is there anything specific that caused you worry? Or just that it's new?

If no one ever took a chance on a new host or new guest who had no reviews yet, the platform would never have existed in the first place 🙂

Hope you have a great stay.

Hi this is the invoice I got from Airbnb the  host sent me this link

http://airbnb.co.uk/rooms/98997452/

is this genuine? 

also sent me this attatched invoice:

Is it genuine?

Kind Regards 

Mikey

@Mike2604  It's a scam. That isn't an Airbnb URL, it's a fake look-alike, and Airbnb doesn't send invoices. Hosts do not arrange bookings. Guests find a place they want to book, and Airbnb charges the credit card the guest has on file with them.