Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

808 Replies 808

@Giancarlo185 

This is not a genuine airbnb internet adress. Pretty sure this is a scam.

This a new listing... No reveiws... Seems a bit weird... When I first clicked it was a super host named Tatiana who had been a member since 2016 with a bunch of reveiws... An hour later the host changed to Monica a member since May 2021 with no reveiws... Also, the price dropped from the first time I seen the listing (when Tatiana was the host) to the second time (now Monica is the host).  Any thoughts?

@Paelys0  That does sound a bit odd. Are you aware that you can send an inquiry message to the host? Just click on the "Contact Host" button you'll see when scrolling down on tne listing page. Sending an Inquiry doesn't obligate you in any way. Just tell the host what you posted here and ask for an explanation.

I'm not sure why guests seem to think they have to just take a chance on booking a place that they have doubts about instead of communicating with the host. There could be a perfectly logical explanation- Tatiana may have just sold the place, removed her listing, and the new owners put up a fresh listing. Airbnb listings aren't transferrable, so when there is new ownership, it will show as a new listing, with no reviews. But for that to change from one hour to the next is what is really weird.

45521314-76AF-4147-903A-A178FE42B261.jpeg914FFBAD-3571-487F-B415-F4F1E75427B6.jpegHi, thank you for The platform and for helping others here.

Thinking of booking this place but I am not sure. Starting to get a weird feeling. Is there anyway to confirm that this is a legit listing on Airbnb.

https://abnb.me/Zwc5YO7VPhb

I’ve run into situations where the host name is real but the photos are not, or vice versa.

What do you think?

@Frank1396 it looks ok but weird. How will you fit all those airbeds into 1 room?

@Bartosz14  That isn't an Airbnb URL.

Can someone help me does it look like a legit stay? There’s only one review and it’s been a host for over a year.

https://abnb.me/Woq38Ic4xkb

Hello I would like your thoughts on this listing:

https://abnb.me/M0FRw0IS7kb

when I booked there was an issue with double booking in the last days of my booked stay, through booking.com and Airbnb 

I happened to talk to another person who booked the same place and had the same issue with double booking and she therefor cancelled the booking and said she thought it was a scam

i am now worried as I have already booked, paid and I am going there next week

please let me know your thoughts!

hi was wondering if you can help .. my son found an apt thru a sublease website … when you click on the picture it brings you to an airbnb app it looks real … she was first month /security wired to her bank in spain .. she says she’s there for work .. the apt is ridiculously cheap with all utilities included . .. i know the building and if you were to just rent thru a realtors it would gf almost 4000 more a month .. you can rent this for 1 month to 5 years .. she also states that once she receives the deposit ., all communication will go thru airbnb .. 

one other thing are the pictures of the apt she says it’s fully furnished but the furniture she’s showing is not hers… people renting thru a realtor have the same furniture 

does this sound  like  a scam 

@Alyson47  It is 100% a scam. That isn't how Airbnb works. Guests don't wire money to anyone.

Did you read any of the 600 posts on this thread that expose exactly this scam?

Hi, please can you take a look at this? https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/553318906934066390/photos?check_in=2022-02-13&check_out=2022-02-19&pr...

Thanks. Will you be able to let me know if ok or fake?

@Elspeth14   When I click on that link it says "You don't have permission to access this resource".

So something is wonky, for sure. And when I just tried again, no listing in showing at all. Maybe it was a scam and got removed. 

Since I can't see it, what made you wary?