Seeking advice on my listing, Looking for your expertise

Qing117
Level 2
Gymea Bay, Australia

Seeking advice on my listing, Looking for your expertise

Paula_0-1723587469071.jpeg

Hi, my name is Fay and my guess room has been listed since July 2024. I'm seeking general feedback and advice from new hosts regarding my space (i.e., pictures, house rules, listing, fees, etc.)

Thanks a lot

[Content edited by OCM]

18 Replies 18
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Qing117 

When someone is renting a room the main focus is the room they aren't family visiting.  They don't knows you or your family so they want a lock on the door.  If your room comfortably fits two I just set my price at two if someone is single and asks thn Y just give a private discount if I choose.  People renting rooms are interestested in can they unwind in the room, watch tv and surf the internet.  They aren't making gourmet meals but coffee and a quick bite to eat

Todd415
Level 1
Jacksonville Beach, FL

Nice listing, good pictures.  What's not clear is the door and the lockbox where people can enter. Is the space totally separate or is the hallway shared?  Some people prefer privacy, while others might enjoy sharing space.  I think of you clear that up, it will help bookings. 

Sheri7
Level 3
Ventura, CA

I think your listing looks lovely and you will be a great host! 
I might add a big pool toy and then retake pics.

when I go on holiday, I’m all about the pool!

if your pics reflected the private aspects of the shared space it might be a bit more alluring to prospective guests. 
welcome to hosting from this 10 year running Superhost in California!

Rebecca-Anne0
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

Good morning, dear @Qing117 

It's really important to double-check your spelling.  You wrote "guess room" instead of "guest room."  Potential guests might begin to think you might be unreliable in other ways.

@Qing117

Nice listing! I would clarify my descriptions under my pictures didn't really understand about the cooking outside and cigarette smoke. I would edit it to maybe say "all cooking available outside plus a area for smoking.

@Qing117 The house looks great! I would definitely take some more pictures explaing the flow of the house...

I see the pool but where is it connected from ?

I see a glimpse of stairs, but then where is it ? 

So some more pictures of the house in a whole with the flow..like one corner to the end..

Everything else looks great! You will surely do great 👍 

Good luck!!  

Mj10
Level 2
Atherton, CA

I think your listing is lovely!  I would add a little personalization to the photos as someone else mentioned a pool float, or wine glasses on a table and a bottle of wine.  I like some lemmons in the kitchen too for some color and interest.  The bedroom looks great and the bed comfy which I always think is important to show.  The outdoor photos could be better - there are some that are not so inviting and I would delete.

I would also add Carbon Monixide & Smoke detector to the home and show that you have it on the list of amenities, currently it shows that you do not have one.  I would add some words to your listing title - something like below

Lovely Private Room minutes from Gymea Bay

I would also add the pool in the title

Lovely Private Room with Pool minutes from Gymea Bay

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Penni18 @Pedro2032 @Sheila803 @Razvan46 @Valda35 @Rebecca392 @Shaun571 and @Mj10,. thank you so much for sharing all your amazing suggestions with Qing 👏👏👏

I am tagging @Qing117  here so they receive a notification of your message. This way, we increase the chances of them getting back to us.

Quick tip: To tag someone, tap "@" and select the host's username from the dropdown menu 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Shaun571
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi,

Here are my thoughts..

1) Pictures - they look fine. I agree with the last comment on the door lock, i'd want that. I'd also want a television option in the room and a charger. Amazon has these great multi-purpose chargers that can go by the bed. My style is more modern, since the room has limited space, I might remove the dresser and add stylish baskets to the closet shelves that can be used for clothing. I'd probably also modernize the sheets but they go with countryside. 

2) House rules -  No suggestions unless you have vehicle or parking rules you might want to add.

3) Listing - I found from staying at other Airbnb's that its acceptable to ask people to remove the linen when they are done with the stay. I found it helpful and reduces my turnover time. I have them place their used linen in the washer but not turn it on. Others have suggested to leave it on the floor. That is an option for your listing.

4) Fees - Your fees look good. Other considerations.. I charge for lost keys, parking passes and offer a later check-in option for a fee. Those may be options. You could also potentially have movie rental fees or add-on options for meals/pool treats etc.

@Shaun571  How do you find stains on the sheets if you have the guest remove them from the bed? 

Also, removing bed linens probably takes under a minute. Asking guests to do it is an easy way to have them feel negative about doing that, as they are likely paying a cleaning fee. That's not a direct correlation to the cleaning fee, but this is a known gripe from guests about doing almost anything other than the basics at check-out. 

For something as simple as sheets, I'd leave well enough alone and not ask the guests to touch them. I need them on the bed as that's the best way to find stains. 

Great questions! I look at the linen when placing it in the dryer which has fortunately worked. I have only had a stain one time which did not change my need to wash it. 

As for it taking one minute to change sheets, that has not been my experience. I wash the quilt and sheets. I prefer to not touch them (even with gloves) when I do not have to. 

Additionally, I have been asked to do this at other Airbnb's and was fine with it. I actually felt better knowing the linen was being washed and removed after stays. 

As for how guest will respond, I have 100% positive feedback from over 20 guest so fortunately, guest have not received this request negatively, nor did I when requested of me at other homes.

Νικος3
Level 2
Rhodes, Greece

excellent house, I will also say that you should enrich the pool a little!!

Rebecca392
Level 2
Steamboat Springs, CO

Fay - lovely place.

I'd say add more details on specifics like is the bathroom attached (ensuite) or another door in the same hallway? Is that hallway shared with Owner's bedrooms/bathrooms?

As others have noted, I'd be happiest with a lock on my room, and the bathroom, if it is not ensuite.

I'd love a small chair or bench in the room for dressing, putting on shoes, placing a bag, etc. Added benefit for you is less sitting right on the edge of the bed.

Since it is marked as pet friendly, I'd suggest more information if that's important to you - total number of pets allowed, what type of pets (dogs only, etc.), do you have a weight restriction (small dogs only), and will they have access to the yard and your expectations for picking up after them. Can the pet be left alone in the room? What topics like that should a guest know to make both parties comfortable.

Looks like you've had some initial fantastic reviews. Good luck and enjoy!