So I guess the algorithm decided to hate me...

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

So I guess the algorithm decided to hate me...

After I re-opened in late September (after a 1 year-long break), naturally my page views increased (from 0)

But around 1-2 weeks ago, it looks like the algorithm decided to hate me. 

Not exactly sure what I did to offend it, though...

I can think of 2 possible things that might have made me "persona non grata" - but which IMO should not hurt my status: 

1)

I decided to turn on Instant Book, after careful consideration.

Shortly thereafter I had an instant booking, from a guest who had only 1 review from hosts, from 2019.

The review was OK/quite short and neutral, so I guess she was "Recommended by other hosts".

But she was also a host herself, and had 2 reviews from guests - both of which were very disconcerting.

The main issue for both of her previous guests, seemed to be cleanliness, and there seemed to have been huge issues.

One of the reviews started with "Avoid at any cost, cleanliness totally unfit for a stay."

This review was from a newbie, but the other (also bad) review was from a very experienced host and guest.

I decided (within an hour of receiving the booking) I was not comfortable with hosting, and sent her a polite message about this. 

Airbnb cancelled the booking for me, and informed me this cancellation would be penalty free.

I have never cancelled a reservation before.

2) 

A few days later, I received a "Request" to book, at noon.

Informing (not asking...) me the guest and her daughter (kindergarten age) would be arriving in 2 hours, and would be staying for a week.

My Advance Notice setting is 2 days (but OK to still ask), and it is stated in my listing that it is unsuitable for children 0-12 years (I have a sleeping loft with a steep ladder).

I politely (within minutes of receiving the request)  informed the guest I would unfortunately not be able to have the house ready with such short notice. And also that the house was not suitable for young children - and I wished her good luck in finding somewhere else to stay. She seemed to have no issues with this, thanked me for the quick response, and withdrew her Request to book.

Do you think any of these situations is influencing my rank in searches/page views?

Algoritm 1.JPG

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Trude0 The first may count against you directly but both will count against you indirectly. By this I mean the key thing for a good search placement seems to be the number of bookings received. Anything that affects bookings will move you down the search rankings I am afraid.

Perhaps after a year off you need to be very sharp with your pricing until you get going again.