Tip of the week 3: Tips to get more bookings as a new Host

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tip of the week 3: Tips to get more bookings as a new Host

As we head into the third week of theTip of the Week series, I'm yet again delighted to share this week’s tip on tips to get bookings  as a new Host

The following tip was shared by Superhost @Patricia2526 on a topic where a new Hosts asked for advice on how to get bookings  📖

"Write a detailed and accurate description of your listing. Highlight everything your guests need to know about your property". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on which actions you have taken to get more bookings becoming when starting out as an Airbnb Host, so go ahead, and tell us everything about your tips and tricks one should focus on how to get more bookings, and making your listing stand out!

We’re super excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best tips on getting started as an Airbnb Host, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

14 Replies 14
Kozee0
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Thank you 

🤎

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You're very welcome @Kozee0! Are there any tips you would like to share? 🙂 

-----

Aloha, are there any tips we can do on the outside of airbnb to get more bookings. We already have great pictures and details but recently went thru a dry time.  And everyone here as well, so everyone started lowering there prices and so we did too, but felt with low prices we might end up hosting people that may not take good care of our unit. Are their any other strategies then going so low and attracting  people who may not take as good care of our unit

Mahalo for the help

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Aleksandra235!  What tips would you share with those looking to start as new Airbnb Hosts? 👀

You've got a lovely listing! 😊

-----

I  love that you said that!

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

@Quincy 

To get your first bookings:

1. Make sure you complete all parts of the listing information- missing information creates doubts

2. Make sure your photos show all guest areas- same reason as above

3. Take some time with your photos- rooms should be uncluttered, beds coverings smooth, photos  straight, and get each room in the best light for that space, this may take a few days but it's a must. 

4. Cover photo is super important- needs that wow factor and should highlight what is special about your place.

4. Have a profile photo clearly showing your friendly face. 

5. Look at your competition and set your price just a bit lower to get started. I don't recommend using Airbnb smart pricing or any automatic discounts (I like to be in control) but others may have a different opinion.

I agree 😊 the wow factor is important 🌿 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

In addition to what @Patti-And-Marty0  said about pictures, when you take a picture of the bathroom, make sure that the commode lid is closed.

Sandra4813
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

My tip is be thoughtful & friendly with guests. This can be achieved with thoughtful messages and a nice welcome message personalised to the guests. For example a guest is arriving to go to a concert mention in your welcome message. I have a small blackboard & personalise messages for guests on this. Include the guests name & the occasion of their visit,

Yes I do this also I try my best without smothering some guests don't want help But I would say about 95% off my guest appreciate the details So the way I do this as before and after they book I engage In short conversations: Such as have you been to this area before Would you like in suggests on top spots ect

Then when it is  a guest coming for an anniversary or birthday I try to get a since of there likes and love leaving a few cupcakes a small carrot bread little treat saying Happy anniversary or Happy Birthday. I could go on and on I love hosting children I have 7 grandchildren so there are wonderful books for all ages Its to me a True joy I absolutely love surprising and doing little things, Its always the small things that I like when I stay at an Airbnb this is why its NOT a Hotel Experience !

San20085
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

SOME EXAMPLES  FOR TIPS PLZ

Betty544
Level 1
Tuscaloosa, AL

Can you post on all social media platforms? If so, how?

Besides "Write a detailed and accurate description of your listing. Highlight everything your guests need to know about your property". 

1. Make sure you take good pictures, different angles of the room and space
    1. Don't take pictures of the vacuum and open shelves 
    2. Those should be listed in the amenities or in the listing
  2. Think like a guest first of all! If it was you booking and you have 2 great listings one price a bit higher but has great details about the space but more importantly about the BEDROOMS describing everything that each room includes, and the other listing is cheaper but  very basic and you only rely on the pictures - Which one would you book?
    1. make a list of each room and what included
    2. Make a list of the outdoor
    3. Make a list of the location and nearby places people would most likely will be visiting
    4. Make a list of amenities you include
  3. Use the lists mention above and break down the listing into section
    1. The space
      1. What the space include: 2 Bedroom / 2 Bath / Kitchen / Living Room etc etc
    2. Describe the space and what room includes example: Bedroom 1 - describe bedside and other feature like does it have a tv?
    3. Do the same for each space
  4. Will be easy to read to use a outline format to describe the listing
  5. If you need inspiration how to describe use CHATGPT 
    1. Chatgpt : use the comand as follow: write an airbnb listing description with the following information: 
      1. use keywords for chatgpt to write your listing
      2. do not ask for too much it will be too convoluted so break it down into small comand request example: write an airbnb listing description about the bedroom that includes a comfortable queen size bed, a desk, office chair, closet and soft bedsheets. 
      3. Then ask for the next group of description. 
  6. Keep it detail but simple, not to wordy or lengthy that will be too much to read.
    1. Make sure the most important info iso n the top
      1. Space, room, features
      2. Location - closed to where?
      3. If allow pet or not = this is important people want to know if you allow pet
    2. Then at the bottom any other listing features
      1. Rules
      2. Long term rules
      3. about the neighborhood
    3. Price it accordingly - check other airbnb in the area with the same description
      1. Go to the listing to several airbnb host that offer same quality, space and options
        1. Example: If you rent a 2 bedroom/2 bad/pool home find the same
        2. Also find homes with no pools and see what they price it
      2. Then go to their calendar
        1. Ask yourself? is this host getting lots of booking or is their calendar for the current month pretty open?
        2. If you find a home like the one mention about 2/2 w/pool renting at $250 a night and you notice that host calendar for the current month only has a few bookings and more open days than booking
          1. Then you know not everyone will go for $250
          2. Check other less than $250
            1. are they getting more bookings?
        3. Also take in consideration some Airbnb offer an experience, if the home is something out of the ordinary a LUX home with amazing living space and is rents for $700 a night and has lots of bookings
          1. That doesn't mean your Rancher home with Ashley furniture decor will rent for $700 
            1. The area and the market makes a difference, not the same a rancher ashley furniture home in a high demand area than in a small town!
            2. Judgment! Price accordingly
    4. Start your listing with the 20% for first time booking and offer a good low price 
    5. After the 20% keep price low to attract more booking
      1. More booking - More reviews

Your bread a butter when you first open your Airbnb will be the Reviews and Cleanliness

If you fail to provide a clean rental you will get bad reviews, these 2 goes hand to hand when you first start. 

1. Once you have a good amount of reviews,
    1. Maintain the listing 
    2. If you update the unit, update the listing
    3. Get professional pictures
    4. Always check on cleaning - visit the unit after a cleaning 
    5. Do maintenance on the units 
      1. the less you care, the less booking you will get