We recently bought a house that the previous owner is still listing on Airbnb.

Erin8242
Level 1
Portland, OR

We recently bought a house that the previous owner is still listing on Airbnb.

I'm very concerned people from out of town are going to be showing up to our house expecting to stay there for the weekend when we are living there. We have reached out to airbnb support via chat, email and phone. We have reached out the former owner via airbnb, and the realtor that sold us the house to no avail. I'm concerned our only course of action left is to involve lawyers and the local authorities!? How is airbnb allowed to do this? 

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Erin8242 

One additional thing you can try (if you haven't yet done so) - click on the listing and scroll all the way down to "report this listing". I don't have experience in how effective it is, but probably worth a try.

Thank you, I tried that first and never got a response. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi  @Erin8242 

unfortunately Airbnb can't do anything in this situation. It's down to the owner of the listing .

I presume you've checked the calendar on the listing to see if bookings are being accepted ?

did removing the listing form part of the contract for your house purchase?

why has the realtor not been in contact with the original owner rather than you having to contact them via the listing .

if the previous owners calendar is open for the listing I can see why you would be concerned. However I think that's unlikely to be the case as they will incur financial penalty for each booking they don't honour.

airbnb isn't doing anything  . If what you say is correct and the owner is still taking bookings then it's only them  that you could pursue legally or your lawyer too if you  asked for it to be taken down as part of your purchase contract .