What are some ways to dampen noise in Private Rooms

Answered!
Jacob874
Level 2
Duson, LA

What are some ways to dampen noise in Private Rooms

Hi, I would like to dampen the noise in my private room listing, either by modifying the room, or modifying the adjacent rooms. Has anyone had any success with this?

1 Best Answer

We recently faced a challenge with noise in one of our private room listings and wanted to share how we tackled it with some great guidance. Thanks to some helpful tips and a bit of effort, we were able to create a much quieter and more comfortable space for our guests. We're thrilled with the results and are happy to help any fellow hosts who might be dealing with similar issues. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need advice or just want to chat about solutions. We're all in this together!

Warm regards,

Dawn & Antonio Balcazar
Regal Rentals

• Soundproofing Materials:

• Acoustic Panels: Install acoustic panels on walls to absorb sound. These panels come in various designs and can also add a decorative touch to the room.
    • Soundproof Curtains: Heavy, soundproof curtains can help block noise from outside the room. These are especially effective for windows and doors.
    • Rugs and Carpets: Place thick rugs or carpets on the floor to absorb sound and reduce echo.

• Wall Modifications:

• Double Drywall: Adding an extra layer of drywall can help reduce noise transmission through walls.
    • Insulation: Fill walls with soundproofing insulation to block sound from adjacent rooms.
    • Soundproof Paint: Use soundproof paint, which can reduce noise levels by absorbing sound waves.

• Door and Window Modifications:

• Weatherstripping: Apply weatherstripping around doors and windows to seal gaps and reduce noise leakage.
    • Solid-Core Doors: Replace hollow doors with solid-core doors for better sound insulation.
    • Window Inserts: Install window inserts that provide an additional barrier against outside noise.

• Furniture Placement:

• Bookshelves: Place bookshelves against shared walls to act as a sound barrier.
    • Upholstered Furniture: Use upholstered furniture, such as chairs and sofas, which can absorb sound.
  • Seal Gaps and Cracks:

• Caulking: Seal any gaps or cracks in walls, floors, and around windows and doors to prevent sound from traveling through these spaces.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

Heavy insulation in the walls and roof and also install hurricane soundproof impact windows and doors (expensive but they reduce about 70% of noise from the exterior, is what we do in Florida. Good luck!

May be fit acoustic soundproofing panels but you will need to remove the old plasterboard replace with the acoustic panels reslab and skim before repainting. I assume the property is attached to a main residence so you want to reduce the noise. If so you can do the work on your side so there is no disturbance to existing bookings. 

We recently faced a challenge with noise in one of our private room listings and wanted to share how we tackled it with some great guidance. Thanks to some helpful tips and a bit of effort, we were able to create a much quieter and more comfortable space for our guests. We're thrilled with the results and are happy to help any fellow hosts who might be dealing with similar issues. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need advice or just want to chat about solutions. We're all in this together!

Warm regards,

Dawn & Antonio Balcazar
Regal Rentals

• Soundproofing Materials:

• Acoustic Panels: Install acoustic panels on walls to absorb sound. These panels come in various designs and can also add a decorative touch to the room.
    • Soundproof Curtains: Heavy, soundproof curtains can help block noise from outside the room. These are especially effective for windows and doors.
    • Rugs and Carpets: Place thick rugs or carpets on the floor to absorb sound and reduce echo.

• Wall Modifications:

• Double Drywall: Adding an extra layer of drywall can help reduce noise transmission through walls.
    • Insulation: Fill walls with soundproofing insulation to block sound from adjacent rooms.
    • Soundproof Paint: Use soundproof paint, which can reduce noise levels by absorbing sound waves.

• Door and Window Modifications:

• Weatherstripping: Apply weatherstripping around doors and windows to seal gaps and reduce noise leakage.
    • Solid-Core Doors: Replace hollow doors with solid-core doors for better sound insulation.
    • Window Inserts: Install window inserts that provide an additional barrier against outside noise.

• Furniture Placement:

• Bookshelves: Place bookshelves against shared walls to act as a sound barrier.
    • Upholstered Furniture: Use upholstered furniture, such as chairs and sofas, which can absorb sound.
  • Seal Gaps and Cracks:

• Caulking: Seal any gaps or cracks in walls, floors, and around windows and doors to prevent sound from traveling through these spaces.

Wow did you do alll of these things @Jacob874 how much  did it cost?

Debra699
Level 3
Decatur, GA

Hello Jacob 🙂 

I renovated my basement into a 1 bedroom apartment and used soundproof drywall and a product called GreenGlue to help with the noise. It can get very expensive the more soundproofed you go. This was a happy medium for me as it muffled loud sounds like a vacuum or my dog barking, and it was not too $$ or difficult to install.