What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

85 Replies 85
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing your approach @Snehal1 ! 

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Hermien8 , How do you communicate self check-in instructions with guests? Have there been occasions where guests found it difficult to access the property?

-----

Irakli52
Level 1
Tbilisi, Georgia

Restore me as an Airbnb community expert . Auto-check in

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Irakli52 , Which smart lock or auto-check in system do you prefer when it comes to providing a smoother self check-in for guests? 

-----

Verity42
Level 2
Wolverley, United Kingdom

After lots of research, we found this 'police preferred' key safe: https://keysafe.co.uk/products/ark-tamo-key-safe

It has multiple security standards (which I recently found out the cheaper scroll lock do not have!), and has light up buttons and an LED inside, which will be great for guests arriving late at night.

This is undoubtably how we will allow access when we are not on site - easy to use, easy to see and super secure.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Verity42 Do keep us posted how guests approach this key safe system and how you plan to share self-check-in instructions with guests 😉

-----

Nalin67
Level 2
Singapore

I am asking my housekeeper to meet the guest explain everything in brief 

As i am in abroad 

That would create positive atmosphere 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing these tips @Nalin67 ! 🌻 

How do you manage your listing from abroad? Since you have a housekeeper, how do you typically coordinate communication between the guests and the housekeeper to ensure a smooth and pleasant stay for the guests?

-----

I have ring door bell @ out side the main door 

I have direct link with cleaners and Maintenance person 

I communite with Guest all the time 

Appreciate feedback from them 

I pay good percentage to housekeeper 

I am learning how to manage distally with technology 

My plan is automated the house ( smart locks a and smart stuff )

Ultimately it's a team work and care / respect others 

Greg2406
Level 3
Rockport, TX

Kwikset Halo Smartlock (Amazon) & Masterlock Wall mount combination lock.

1) never have the guest house tied or otherwise linked to any Host network, utilize a VLan setup that way your guests have their own network for all their computers, smart tvs, cell phones, etc. 

2) utilize the two locks together.  Kwikset is for when internet is up and running.   I have been thousands of miles away and have been able to unlock the guest house door lock.   The combination lock box is incase the power or internet wi-fi is down.  Host can text the Guest the combination so that they are not locked out.  

3) Because both the key lock in the smartlock can be changed easily, as well as the combination on the wall mounted combination lock, it makes it secure for your subsequent guests.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

These are great tips @Greg2406 ! Thanks so much for sharing it with other Hosts 😍

Have you been in a situation yourself , where in the guests were stuck and you had to use the remote door unlock feature or share the lock box combination in case of power outage? 

-----