When guest make modification to their reservation, shouldn't the original price remain the same?

Answered!
Danny627
Level 5
San Jose, CA

When guest make modification to their reservation, shouldn't the original price remain the same?

I have a guest making a modification to their reservation, nothing change except for adding 1 additional guest. However by adding this one guest it dropped the cost by $250.

We start charging extra per guest over 8 but going from 6 to 7 people shoudl have at least stayed the same.

One thing I did was adjusted my daily rate recently but that should have only affect "new reservation" 

Is there a flaw in the system?

Top Answer

Decided to call support to get to the bottom of it, they said due to their algorithm, anytime a modification is made to a reversation, it use the "current" price for calculation. 

This is very stupid and open a loophole for guests to sometime get a lower rate after reservation. 

I use pricelab to adjust my rates and occassionally when things seems a little slow, I lower my minumum to attract more interest. 

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Danny627 yes the cost should stay the same. 

Decided to call support to get to the bottom of it, they said due to their algorithm, anytime a modification is made to a reversation, it use the "current" price for calculation. 

This is very stupid and open a loophole for guests to sometime get a lower rate after reservation. 

I use pricelab to adjust my rates and occassionally when things seems a little slow, I lower my minumum to attract more interest. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Danny627 Sometimes if you go from a six day stay to a seven day stay then instead of making more money you can lose. The same with going from 27 days to 28  because of weekly and monthly discounts. It is sometimes better if this will be triggered to either not accept the extra day or to give it free or to start a completely new booking for one day , most hosts avoid this as it seems to be gouging but maybe before offering the extension if you remove your weekly or monthly discount ,and after it goes through replace them ... H

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In theory should stayed the same, in practice is another story. When you increased the booking from 6-7 the system may have treated it as something new. We never change an existing reservation if it is unnecessary.