Why airbnb is forcing hosts to other platforms?

Why airbnb is forcing hosts to other platforms?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around Airbnb’s logic in delisting properties. We manage over 40 properties, so we know the off-season game: lower prices, lower quality guests, and of course, lower reviews. Fine, I get it—if a listing is hovering around 2 or 3 stars, maybe it's time for it to go. But can someone explain why a listing with a 4.8-star rating is getting flagged for deletion just because two guests had a bad day? Seriously, where's the logic in that? We are pretty much left with no option but to go to other platforms.

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @AZ-Housing0 

I'm sorry you are experiencing problems with the listings you manage..

i can see you've had a number of negative reviews recently and this maybe why you've received a notice from Airbnb asking you to look at addressing issues at properties that are leading to lower reviews . 

has Airbnb suspended your listings or are they saying they are suspending your profile - I wasn't clear from your post? 

We had this several times happening to us. Airbnb automatically delists the listings when 2-3 guests complain. This just doesn't make sense especially if you run multiple properties.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah okay - from Airbnb's point of view it does make sense to suspend hosts who attract two or three lower reviews consecutively as poor reviews and experiences reflect on their brand.

are there any common themes regarding guest complaints that you could address to minimise your risk of this happening again? 

for example a quick look at your recent reviews shows issues with communication, properties not being clean @AZ-Housing0 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@AZ-Housing0  It's because if you rack up 2-3 listing issues then the listing is delisted.

The correct thing to do is when you get 1 listing issue, you can suspend it yourself, and work on the issue. Then once the issue is addressed, relist it.

By doing it this way, you can avoid the delisting. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Whoever built the algorithm didn’t really consider the consequences. It should look at % of low score reviews are terminate those with a high % of 1-2*. As is, the more guests you host at lower rates, the higher likely you are to get canned. Better to just do high season, or keep price high.

Since they let @Catherine-Powell go, the whole CS system went down the hill. Looks like there is no one to complain anymore. Most of CS who are outsourced by cheap third party companies, just close cases without even reading what you wrote... This will hit airbnb very badly in coming years if not fixed. Here I asked a simple question, CS rep just rushed to close the case without even reading. Which is understandable, since most probably they are heavily underpaid...

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that it is not allowed to share Airbnb investigation and private conversations]